Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Yup and I still stand by that.
    Don't break the law and you've got nothing to worry about. Seriously, it's not that hard to have a great life and be a good citizen at the same time. That's what gets me to question people like you: the only reason you care is because you're probably doing something morally objectionable.
    Taliban said a good female citizen shouldn't study in University or fly aboard for that. What a "great life". https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-66636750

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      All things considered, I'm more worried about the Chinese and TikTok than I am the Americans and SELinux. One is a closed source app with ties to the Chinese Communist Party/Government that requires you to disable security protections to fully work whereas the other one is an open source security protection that tries to keep us safe from nefarious actors.

It also doesn't help that TikTok uses different algorithms for different countries and peoples and the one used for Americans and western society pushes content to intentionally divide and anger Americans.

TikTok is literally the Communist Party Propaganda Machine.
      Communist propaganda from an app you have to voluntarily install is the least of my concerns, compared to a domestic spy agency that ignores privacy laws and shares data with everyone who has the power to incarcerate me over being a domestic dissident

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
        Taliban said a good female citizen shouldn't study in University or fly aboard for that. What a "great life". https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-66636750
        How does it make sense to compare my privileged position (that a company like Google or Amazon are just seeking to profit from) to an oppressive government seeking to take away a human right? Like seriously think about what you're trying to say here: I should concern about these companies figuring out what kind of products I like in order to produce ads I'm more likely to click on because an Afghani woman is deliberately kept uninformed. That's absurd.

Unlike her, there is absolutely nothing my government unrighteously restricts/deprives me of, or anyone I know for that matter. If anything, it ought to be more restricting since the wealthy can kinda do whatever they want. My point is: I live a great life at nobody's expense but my own, and there is nothing morally sound I wish was available to me.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          With Snowden safely exiled to Russia and Assange safely locked up in prison and facing extradition, the NSA boys have got to be feeling like the world has been set right again.
          I have to say safely exiled to Russia is a complete oxymoron. If you are treated well after being exiled there, it's because someone managed to politically weaponize you.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

I have to say safely exiled to Russia is a complete oxymoron. If you are treated well after being exiled there, it's because someone managed to politically weaponize you.
            If the American regime respected their own whistleblower laws, Snowden wouldn't have had to escape to Russia in the first place

Thank you Putin for protecting an American patriot

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

So how do someone not aware of the existence of SELinux suddenly know to look at that particular log file locating in that obscure place? Please enlighten everyone here. If you want to defend SELinux, you may suggest some killer feature that other modules such as AppArmor can't. But when someone said "I didn't know my problem is due to SELinux thus lost a day of time", response such as "you should have gone take a look at a log file that only SELinux users will watch out for" is NOT an answer.
              I don't know man,

Basic SELinux Troubleshooting in CLI: https://access.redhat.com/articles/2191331
              SELinux/Tutorials/Where to find SELinux permission denial details: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SELinux...denial_details
              How to read and correct SELinux denial messages: https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/selinux-denial2

The first three hits in Google.

The only people who have troubles with SeLinux seem to be the people who don't want any of SeLinux. As simple as that.
              Last edited by avis; 30 August 2023, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                Doesn't make sense to me. NSA was the original author, and yes SEL has changed over the years, but the original authors still should be referenced. Strange world we live in now though as history is being rewritten, and in some cases erased.
                The devil is in the details, which Phoronix's rather sensational title glosses over. The NSA can be mentioned and acknowledged but without naming the feature "NSA SELinux" or having other "NSA_" prefixes in the source code itself. That is very reasonable. It's just like CUPS was originally an Apple contribution, but we don't have to call it "Apple CUPS".

Comment

How does it make sense to compare my privileged position (that a company like Google or Amazon are just seeking to profit from) to an oppressive government seeking to take away a human right?
                  You're the one who said
                  Seriously, it's not that hard to have a great life and be a good citizen at the same time.
                  Seems fair for billyswong to point out that for the vast majority of people in the world, yes, it is that hard.

there is absolutely nothing my government unrighteously restricts/deprives me of, or anyone I know for that matter​
                  When was the last time you tried blowing the whistle on government corruption as a federal agency insider? You should talk to a whistleblower and hear about the hell they go through. How about Edward Snowden? Have you seen him giving live in-person talks at American conferences on ethics and technology lately? How much has our government respected his rights to blow the whistle on blatant NSA corruption?

Comment

Yup and I still stand by that.
                    Don't break the law and you've got nothing to worry about. Seriously, it's not that hard to have a great life and be a good citizen at the same time. That's what gets me to question people like you: the only reason you care is because you're probably doing something morally objectionable.
                    The fact that you have descended into personal attacks and insinuations really doesn't surprise me.

Someone else already point out in the other thread why "it's not that hard" living "a great life" as "a good citizen" requires a moral, ethical and honest government, and how it can be abused. Sometimes before someone has even realised.

Examine the way whistleblowers and journalists are treated in many countries (even the supposedly "enlightened" West). Observe the way ethnic or religious minorities are treated in others.

Read some history.

Seriously, read some history.

But you have things to hide. Or do you make your full name, address, social security, bank details, accounts and passwords freely accessible to anyone who asks?

Politicians, who make the laws clearly have lots to hide. How does someone on a low six figure salary become a multi-millionaire in a decade?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                      The fact that you have descended into personal attacks and insinuations really doesn't surprise me.
                      Am I wrong? There's a difference between needlessly insulting someone vs saying something that's key to the point I'm trying to make. The thing is, I can't ask you what it is you fear so much. Obviously, it would be hypocritical of you to say it or even imply you're doing something wrong, which is why I concluded you must be doing something morally ambiguous (or worse).
                      Someone else already point out in the other thread why "it's not that hard" living "a great life" as "a good citizen" requires a moral, ethical and honest government, and how it can be abused. Sometimes before someone has even realised.
                      Yeah except that comparison was BS since it's comparing to an objectively oppressive government with a very clear motive. It's really comparing apples to oranges. The ironic thing is: the Taliban doesn't have the means to spy on their citizens, whereas my government (which doesn't oppress me) would know I'm writing this right now, if they actually cared enough about who I am, which they don't. Why? Because I'm not special, and neither are you. Even whatever that shady thing is that you're probably doing, I doubt any NATO government cares.
                      Examine the way whistleblowers and journalists are treated in many countries (even the supposedly "enlightened" West). Observe the way ethnic or religious minorities are treated in others.
                      Not sure what that has to do with this discussion. Nobody here is denying that we're being spied on.
                      But you have things to hide. Or do you make your full name, address, social security, bank details, accounts and passwords freely accessible to anyone who asks?
                      That really makes no sense and you know it. There's an incomparable difference between willingly sharing all information linked to you to the public, vs a company that only collects your search/browser history, vs a government that already logged this info the moment it was created. You're not doing yourself any favors by making such ridiculous comparisons.
                      Politicians, who make the laws clearly have lots to hide. How does someone on a low six figure salary become a multi-millionaire in a decade?
                      Precisely my point! The only people who care about this kind of privacy are those who have something to hide!

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      Seems fair for billyswong to point out that for the vast majority of people in the world, yes, it is that hard.
                      No, not even close. There's a huge difference between struggling to make ends meet vs being intentionally handicapped by your government. The vast majority of the population in the world is struggling. You could argue that poor leadership is a cause of this; nobody in their right mind would outright deny that, but there's a critical difference between a government that doesn't know how to solve their problems vs a government that is intentionally creating problems. It's the latter you have to worry about, and that is absolutely not the majority of people. Yes, there are hundreds of millions of people throughout the world in an oppressive government, but the fact that you, me, and billyswongare privileged enough to be spending free time writing about this are not the kind of people who should be griping. I'm sure you are not oppressed by your government, because if you were, you'd have real things to be worrying about and not griping about a 1st world problem.
                      When was the last time you tried blowing the whistle on government corruption as a federal agency insider? You should talk to a whistleblower and hear about the hell they go through. How about Edward Snowden? Have you seen him giving live in-person talks at American conferences on ethics and technology lately? How much has our government respected his rights to blow the whistle on blatant NSA corruption?
                      What information do I have to whistleblow? While whistleblowing is legally granted, publicizing confidential information isn't. Obviously there's some intense corruption within the government, and since it is so deeply rooted, basically everyone closer to those roots is going to want to take him down. In what way is any of that relatable to the average nobody?
                      Last edited by schmidtbag; 31 August 2023, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X