GNU Linux-libre 6.5-gnu Released With More Kernel Deblobbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    Which means that at the very least you deliberately disabled hardware video acceleration for your GPU because it doesn't work without firmware. Nice to know that you installed the deblobbed kernel just to main your system and make it run hotter/noisier. And of course everyone believes you're running this kernel. We should just take your words for granted. LMAO.
    I don't think there is a "we" on this site that includes you, from what I gather, you annoy everyone else just as much as you annoy me. So please just go away. nobody cares about your weird rants.

Comment

chocolate

Myths and how people believe in them against all the accrued knowledge is one of the worst things about humanity.

I've never attacked people who run this kernel. I attack their beliefs. So far not a single person has proved that running Linux-libre is something essential or actually needed. It's more an exercise in vanity just to show off, nothing else. The time spent installing and running this particular kernel could have been spent on something which would have helped other fellow open source users. That's what I'm talking about.

On the other hand people here just cannot stop attacking me personally, I've even received death threats on these forums. Feel the difference.

Instead of providing rational solid arguments for their choice, people instead get aggressive. That's called a freaking belief. That makes people essentially evil. If that's OK with you, so be it.

I bloody hate religions, even the religion of open source. I use Open Source not because I believe in its "superiority", it's actually complete baloney. I use Linux because it's more convenient for me. That's it. I don't go around slandering Microsoft or any other proprietary company just because "I chose Linux and I'm so special" - that's insane and that's exactly what's been happening here on Phoronix for decades. Many people here have created a religion for themselves and they get aggressive against anyone who doesn't share it. Again, that's evil and vile and gives other random people who visit these forums very bad vibes and convinces them not to touch Linux.

Start talking about this for a change. Look in the mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

You could simply add the non-free firmware to run non-free devices, but then what would be the point of using the Linux-Libre kernel?
        This is all the proof we need to know you are a liar who has absolutely no idea about the Linux-libre kernel.

Comment

chocolate

Myths and how people believe in them against all the accrued knowledge is one of the worst things about humanity.

I've never attacked people who run this kernel. I attack their beliefs. So far not a single person has proved that running Linux-libre is something essential or actually needed. It's more an exercise in vanity just to show off, nothing else. The time spent installing and running this particular kernel could have been spent on something which would have helped other fellow open source users. That's what I'm talking about.

On the other hand people here just cannot stop attacking me personally, I've even received death threats on these forums. Feel the difference.

Instead of providing rational solid arguments for their choice, people instead get aggressive. That's called a freaking belief. That makes people essentially evil. If that's OK with you, so be it.

I bloody hate religions, even the religion of open source. I use Open Source not because I believe in its "superiority", it's actually complete baloney. I use Linux because it's more convenient for me. That's it. I don't go around slandering Microsoft or any other proprietary company just because "I chose Linux and I'm so special" - that's insane and that's exactly what's been happening here on Phoronix for decades. Many people here have created a religion for themselves and they get aggressive against anyone who doesn't share it. Again, that's evil and vile and gives other random people who visit these forums very bad vibes and convinces them not to touch Linux.

Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            This is all the proof we need to know you are a liar who has absolutely no idea about the Linux-libre kernel.
            I'm running it right now. It doesn't stop you from adding non-free firmware, but it would be stupid to run a blobless kernel and then add non-free firmware.

Comment

chocolate

Golf clap. In one amazing post about [checks notes] the Linux-libre kernel, you have managed to impugn a) all of humanity; b) all attempts at knowledge; c) all religion; d) all open source.

That's some impressive birdie level stuff right there. Bravo.

Comment

Somwhere this entire thread went off the rails...

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
                  Is there a use case for this kernel build despite the absence of key features like hardware acceleration, which rely on binary blobs and firmware?
                  Yes. While certainly not useful for modern desktop machines, this allows you to create a very cheap and efficient soft CPU design for an FPGA chip, that is low power and free software.

From that base a thousand different specialized products can be created from the same generic source. This massively brings down costs and all of a sudden puts the control at the chip level. Need 64 kb cache and AV1 decoding? Done. Want to trade encoding for another 64 kb of memory? Also possible.

Instead of having to buy a 13600k with all bells and whistles because that is the cheapest CPU that does X, you can buy a 13100F chip plus one extra small module doing X.

​​​​It is time for RISCV based soft CPUs to take over the world, from the bottom up.

Comment

chocolateMyths and how people believe in them against all the accrued knowledge is one of the worst things about humanity.

I've never attacked people who run this kernel. I attack their beliefs.
                    You have been confrontational from the start, derogatory toward users of Linux-libre by writing unsolicited snarky remarks, hijacked the topic in a way that you usually lament when you see it done in Nvidia-related news, and you apparently refuse to acknowledge any legitimate usecase for Linux-libre anyway, otherwise my previous post would have sufficed. Ironically, you then go on to say that Linux-libre users and/or defenders are religious, while you stay put in your beliefs.
                    So far not a single person has proved that running Linux-libre is something essential or actually needed.
                    Multiple GNU/Linux distributions based on it are evidence enough; but besides, nobody should "prove" to you or anyone else that it is useful to them. It presents itself as what it is, in a manner that people naturally find it useful if they're looking for what it offers. What would a proof look like? Hi, I'm a successful anonymous activist writing a controversial reportage on a machine that I trust a bit more than others, in part thanks to Linux-libre. Hi, I'm a FOSS enthusiast enjoying an FSF-endorsed GNU/Linux distribution and I'm successfully doing my average daily computing on a cute old laptop. Something like that?
                    Off topic. But it is utterly inexcusable and you have my most sincere sympathy regarding this matter.
                    No, that is indeed not okay with me. But then again, I wouldn't call it a belief as much as a needless reaction to your consistently confrontational stance. At worst, what I see is that you may get immature responses to unsolicited mockery. To make people aware of the shortcomings of a software solution, there is already Debian's pioneering and gentle rule of "we will not hide problems", teaching FOSS communities how to be in the world since the inception of the very idea of "community" in this context. Yet you seem to be mistaken that merely celebrating what good there is in a piece of software, without at the same time making explicit any and all caveats, is sufficient cause for slander and indignation: how dare these folks parrot their happiness around! But it's not religion. It's probably someone who came back from the office and was fed up with gratuitous toxicity, succumbing to a displeasing riposte. Have mercy on their souls, for we've all been there.
                    I just looked at my reflection on a black screen connected to my Linux-libre gaming rig because the GPU didn't initialize. Except it didn't happen, because it runs XanMod, and Linux-libre doesn't have to dominate one's computing. I'm jesting, because I sincerely wouldn't know what to make of all that otherwise.

Comment

chocolate

Multiple GNU/Linux distributions based on it are evidence enough; but besides, nobody should "prove" to you or anyone else that it is useful to them. It presents itself as what it is, in a manner that people naturally find it useful if they're looking for what it offers.
                      1. Religions have billions of followers, that doesn't validate any of the crap contained in their "sacred" books. Open the Bible's first page and I will literally destroy every other utterance for its complete lack of logic and total incompatibility with the scientific knowledge. "Multiple" obscure distros using it? Doesn't prove anything. People using or creating them might be as confused as the average believer.

2. Again you've provided a number of completely obscure distros I've not heard about and which are barely used by anyone in any capacity and it's not even clear if 1) they are properly maintained 2) have good HW compatibility (they cannot by definition), which invalidates this argument even further. Some of the "distros" on this list are not even distros per se, but you haven't actually checked, have you? GUIX - "GNU Guix is a functional cross-platform package manager and a tool to instantiate and manage Unix-like operating systems, based on the Nix package manager." E.g. Ututo has been dead for years.

3. Have you verified any of these distros actually include and run Linux-libre by default? No? A believer, that is?

You see, I took just a single argument of yours and disemboweled it completely. I wouldn't call it inane, but it's made "to convince", not to provide solid evidence.

If people using Linux-libre run it for fun, I'm totally fine with that. Saying that it's somehow "better" than the complete package is complete baloney.

You may say it's great for e.g. lightweight VMs but if you run the stock kernel for your lightweight VM, you will not be running any firmware/blobs contained within. That's the fucking issue.

If your HW doesn't need firmware/blobs there's zero bloody difference between the vanilla kernel and this "libre" kernel, except the stock kernel is there and can be used without the need to install obscure distros made by God knows whom and which have no warranty of being "clean". Compiled where? How? Have you verified their binaries match their sources? No? A believer again? Oh boy. I trust Fedora Debian Ubuntu 100'000'000'000 times more than some random Joe's "libre" Linux distro.

If you had the guts to use LFS or Gentoo with Linux-libre, oh, boy, you could be proud of yourself. Not with these distros unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                      X