Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-libre 6.5-gnu Released With More Kernel Deblobbing

Phoronix: GNU Linux-libre 6.5-gnu Released With More Kernel Deblobbing

Building off yesterday's release of Linux 6.5, GNU Linux-libre 6.5-gnu is now available for this downstream kernel maintained by the Free Software Foundation Latin America crew that removes support for binary-only kernel modules and stripping out other kernel code that depends on non-free-software microcode/firmware and other elements not deemed in the interests of pure free software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there a use case for this kernel build despite the absence of key features like hardware acceleration, which rely on binary blobs and firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
      Is there a use case for this kernel build despite the absence of key features like hardware acceleration, which rely on binary blobs and firmware?

this is the usecase:

GNU Linux-libre is a project to maintain and publish 100% Free distributions of Linux, suitable for use in Free System Distributions, removing software that is included without source code, with obfuscated or obscured source code, under non-Free Software licenses, that do not permit you to change the software so that it does what you wish, and that induces or requires you to install additional pieces of non-Free Software.​
      ​

Comment

Absolutely works for bragging rights and some terribly outdated nearly unusable hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Absolutely works for bragging rights and some terribly outdated nearly unusable hardware.
          not everything must be a shiny desktop.
          there can be applications where you don't need the latest and fastest hardware but you value free software.

Comment

Damn those impostor pretending to be open source

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

not everything must be a shiny desktop.
              there can be applications where you don't need the latest and fastest hardware but you value free software.
              What exactly are you trying to achieve by running the deblobbed kernel? No one in the whole fucking world cares that you're running such a kernel. No one cares you're wasting your time trying to run it. I'm 1000% sure not a single person who runs such a kernel has actually read the code which makes this a perfect exercise in futility. And if you've not read the code, you're trusting it's "clean" which makes you exactly the same person who trusts the blobs.

Comment

Well, it should be able to support Stallman's laptop (which was last reported to be a Thinkpad X200, so an ~2009 vintage design).

Comment

I was thinking exactly the same thing and, with all due respect to the team behind it, I have a hard time imagining a scenario where using it would be realistic and prolific.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

What exactly are you trying to achieve by running the deblobbed kernel? No one in the whole fucking world cares that you're running such a kernel. No one cares you're wasting your time trying to run it. I'm 1000% sure not a single person who runs such a kernel has actually read the code which makes this a perfect exercise in futility. And if you've not read the code, you're trusting it's "clean" which makes you exactly the same person who trusts the blobs.
                    what? so you're running something because of what other people cares? interesting.

well, I do run what I need and what I want, I don't give AF of what other people cares about! lol!

Comment

Working...
                    X