Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Sysprof Adds FlameGraphs To Better Visualize Output

Phoronix: GNOME's Sysprof Adds FlameGraphs To Better Visualize Output

In addition to GNOME's Sysprof integrating CPU scheduler data this week for GNOME 45, this system-wide profiling tool has also added support for FlameGraphs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if there is a Plasma equivalent for something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
      even i don't use kde - i hope so.
      Last edited by spiral_23; 26 August 2023, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I'm a KDE user, but that doesn't mean I can't use non-native programs. I regularly use programs with a mix of toolkits (gimp, vscode, kitty terminal emulator, Firefox, freecad and dolphin all use different frameworks I think, though there might be two examples using Qt in that list).

​​​​​​It is much better to choose programs based on if they do the job you need done, have the features you need or the stability and lack of bugs.

What toolkit they happen to use really doesn't matter these days. There is enough mechanisms in place that e.g. Gtk programs can pick up fonts and dark/light theme from KDE.

(GTK 4 programs is a bit of special case, ignoring font hinting settings by default, you need to add a special entry to a Gtk ini file for that to work correctly, but that is stupidity in the framework,w wouldn't matter if I ran Gnome, KDE or sway, it would be that buggy regardless.)

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

I'm a KDE user, but that doesn't mean I can't use non-native programs. I regularly use programs with a mix of toolkits (gimp, vscode, kitty terminal emulator, Firefox, freecad and dolphin all use different frameworks I think, though there might be two examples using Qt in that list).

​​​​​​It is much better to choose programs based on if they do the job you need done, have the features you need or the stability and lack of bugs.

What toolkit they happen to use really doesn't matter these days. There is enough mechanisms in place that e.g. Gtk programs can pick up fonts and dark/light theme from KDE.

(GTK 4 programs is a bit of special case, ignoring font hinting settings by default, you need to add a special entry to a Gtk ini file for that to work correctly, but that is stupidity in the framework,w wouldn't matter if I ran Gnome, KDE or sway, it would be that buggy regardless.)
          I agree. I was about to go through the process of compiling this from source and realized nah, I have plenty of software at the moment. It looks incredibly interesting, if not flat out fascinating.

I use XFCE4 with apps from both ecosystems of GNOME and KDE, which is not uncommon for GNU Linux users.

Probably the most intelligent thing to do if I want to try this out is to get a GNOME based desktop distribution and fire it up in a vm so I'm not cluttering my box.

I did watch the youtube video of it, was awesome.
          Last edited by creative; 26 August 2023, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I agree. I was about to go through the process of compiling this from source and realized nah, I have plenty of software at the moment. It looks incredibly interesting, if not flat out fascinating.
            Author of Sysprof here.

You can get a Nightly flatpak of Sysprof from GNOME's nightly repository. It still requires that you have sysprofd on the host, but most distributions have that already. I was careful to keep it working with older versions of the "host profiler daemon".

The only caveat here is that when running the Sysprof UI from Flatpak, it can be fairly annoying to resolve symbols on the host, and we do our best to model the mount namespace of recorded processes, our own process, and the host to crack open the right ELF to symbolize. Operating systems which build with frame pointers are certainly going to yield better results.

GNOME OS nightly's in developer mode also bundle Sysprof.

That said, there are *plenty* of great tools in KDE which Sysprof takes inspiration from. Our malloc tracer works very similar to KDE's heaptrack under the hood.
            Hotspot and kcachegrind are also great tools.

I think the most valuable thing on my mind while creating Sysprof was "how do I get all this information in one place" so I'm not constantly jumping between tools trying to correlate information.

Comment

At least on CachyOS (Arch), it doesn't pull in the entire GNOME DE so you'll be OK in using it with Plasma.

I'm like Vorpal, while I use KDE, I'll also use what I think works best regardless of the graphics toolkit. The only thing that sucks about that approach is that a lot of non-GTK and non-Qt applications don't respect Plasma's UI scaling setting.

Comment

elduderino

Thank you.

Comment

I thought there was ksysprof?

Comment

Originally posted by elduderino View Post

Author of Sysprof here.

I think the most valuable thing on my mind while creating Sysprof was "how do I get all this information in one place" so I'm not constantly jumping between tools trying to correlate information.
                    Sometimes having the information all in one place when it can't also be separated into separate windows so you can view lists, graphs, traces, etc at the same time on the same or multiple screens is actually a step back in utility. Not saying this as a criticism of sysprof as I'm not a Gnome user and haven't used sysprof in a long time. It's just a general UI/UX observation that sometimes gets lost in the run up to integrating information visualization in one place. Can your visualization panels be broken out into multiple windows like that?

Comment

Working...
                    X