Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FEX-Emu 2308 Continues Striving To Be "The Greatest x86/x86-64 Emulator On Linux"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEX-Emu 2308 Continues Striving To Be "The Greatest x86/x86-64 Emulator On Linux"

Phoronix: FEX-Emu 2308 Continues Striving To Be "The Greatest x86/x86-64 Emulator On Linux"

The open-source FEX-Emu project continues advancing as an emulator to run x86/x86_64 Linux binaries on 64-bit ARM (AArch64), even for games, Valve's Steam Play / Proton, and other complex software. FEX-Emu 2308 is out today with more performance optimizations and other features implemented for this emulator...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This needs to have RISC-V support!

Comment

They are progressing so fast. It's almost like a commercial project/product. Alyssa was employed by Valve right? Does it mean Valve has plans to run Steam on arm64 hardware in the near future?

Comment

This is an amazing project that can be considered in the same vein as mesa Zink.
        The best way of transitioning away from a old established standard is a software that can run it through transparent conversion on the new plateform.
        I hope this gets as good as Apple Rosetta2 so that we can ditch x86 finally without any friction slowing down the process.

And yes indeed, a risc-v version is in need too.
        Arm and risc-v will likely become the two competing ISAs that matter in the future.

edit: box86 is a similar project for those who are interested.
        Last edited by rmfx; 06 August 2023, 11:05 AM.

Comment

I have a RK3588 powered SBC (well two actually) coming in a couple of months, can't wait to try fex-emu out.... but what should I use it for really? Doubt gaming on it will be any fun.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
            This is an amazing project that can be considered in the same vein as mesa Zink.
            The best way of transitioning away from a old established standard is a software that can run it through transparent conversion on the new plateform.
            I hope this gets as good as Apple Rosetta2 so that we can ditch x86 finally without any friction slowing down the process.

And yes indeed, a risc-v version is in need too.
            Arm and risc-v will likely become the two competing ISAs that matter in the future.

edit: box86 is a similar project for those who are interested.
            Ditching AMD64 everywhere is a major feat. It's not as easy as just building a binary translator.

Comment

Very interesting, though it appears Box86/64 is much faster (at least last year) https://box86.org/2022/03/box86-box6...x-vs-rosetta2/

Comment

I'm only interested in a project that's plug & play. Copy some commands into the Linux distro of your choice, have an x86/x64-ARM64 translation layer with WINE + Steam ready to go. It'd massively expand the user base.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                  They are progressing so fast. It's almost like a commercial project/product. Alyssa was employed by Valve right? Does it mean Valve has plans to run Steam on arm64 hardware in the near future?
                  i would say after the steam deck Valve could do a gaming smartphone. not a google andorid gaming smartphone
                  with real linux on it running proton and the x86 windows games on it.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by raystriker View Post
                    I have a RK3588 powered SBC (well two actually) coming in a couple of months, can't wait to try fex-emu out.... but what should I use it for really? Doubt gaming on it will be any fun.
                    Considering Lukas was able to run Fallout New Vegas on ARM64 in emulation - i think some games might well be playable.

Comment

Working...
                    X