Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's ConnMan 1.42 Released With Fixes, New Time Zone Options

Phoronix: Intel's ConnMan 1.42 Released With Fixes, New Time Zone Options

Intel's open-source ConnMan software that is an Internet connect manager focused on embedded Linux devices is out with a new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

there needs to be a UN treaty for three things:

1) wifi is wifi everywhere with the same frequencies.
    2) no more daylight savings switches
    3) no more "are you okay with cookies" mandate laws

These are clearly noncontroversial and should take effect immediately.

Engineers love to solve problems, but the problem is politicians like to create problems.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
      there needs to be a UN treaty for three things:

1) wifi is wifi everywhere with the same frequencies.
      2) no more daylight savings switches
      3) no more "are you okay with cookies" mandate laws

These are clearly noncontroversial and should take effect immediately.

Engineers love to solve problems, but the problem is politicians like to create problems.
      UN is a joke, no one is obligated to honor its commitments.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

UN is a joke, no one is obligated to honor its commitments.
        Often they are obligated, depends on what the decision is like: a memorandum, a vote or whatnot.

It also depends on the balance of power, if the country thinks it can get away with - it will, which is why usually it's the powerful countries, their allies, proxies and puppets that dodge UN laws. The UN works the same as local (country) parliaments - officially it pretends to be fighting for all the good things and against all the bad things but under the hood it's really the power players and lobbyists pulling the strings of everything. The root of all evil is human nature.

Comment

If your country submits to the authority of a higher level government entity, be it the UN or EU, then your own country is no longer autonomous & free-standing.

Comment

It would be great if someone made a ConnMan plasmoid to integrate into the system tray.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              It would be great if someone made a ConnMan plasmoid to integrate into the system tray.
              I don't want that level of integration with Truth Social, but you do you

The closest I know of is cmst...but you probably know that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I don't want that level of integration with Truth Social, but you do you

The closest I know of is cmst...but you probably know that, too.
                I mean, NetworkManager is nicely integrated into Plasma, so Connman would be great, too. But yeah, CMST is a great alternative!

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I mean, NetworkManager is nicely integrated into Plasma, so Connman would be great, too. But yeah, CMST is a great alternative!
                  I have a simple wired connection where everything is controlled by the router so NetworkManager does all I need, but, from my old EFL/KDE/XFCE days*, CMST is the only thing both Qt and ConnMan that I know of and, well, sometimes a Qt option is better than the alternatives when you're a KDE user.

But, yeah, I hear what you're saying about actual integration.

*caused by GNOME & GTK 2 to 3...should be enough said

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I have a simple wired connection where everything is controlled by the router so NetworkManager does all I need, but, from my old EFL/KDE/XFCE days*, CMST is the only thing both Qt and ConnMan that I know of and, well, sometimes a Qt option is better than the alternatives when you're a KDE user.

But, yeah, I hear what you're saying about actual integration.

*caused by GNOME & GTK 2 to 3...should be enough said ​​
                    I too have a wired connection on my very modern PC, but NetworkManager is sooooo slow. Especially when waking up the PC, it takes between 10-30 seconds to connect. Connman/CMST, however, connects instantly. And for the record: this modern PC has a great network card and my connection is 1 Gpbs Fiber (which I also almost hit, according to speedtest.net). So my network card and connection are superb.

So if Connman is able to connect instantly, there's no reason for NetworkManager to take so long. Also, with Connman, both PC performance and browsing the web both feel a tad faster and more stable.

I'm happy with CMST. Like you said: better a Qt app than nothing, but yeah, the integration would be nice. Not everything has to be KDE-specific (I also use non-KDE Qt apps), but this one would be nice in the system tray like NetworkManager.

Comment

Working...
                    X