XFS File-System Maintainer Stepping Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

You're sure? I remember it was XFS making false assumptions about caches when doing delayed allocations.
    I don't remember for sure, but I know there was a lot of controversy about it. That's the best of my recollection, and the fact that I played with hdparm a lot and that I was buying battery modules for 3ware raid controllers as was using. Maybe I was just lucky? IDK anymore.

But in any case, XFS has served me very well for 20 years now, and I'm thankful for that.

Comment

I think he went in the Wong direction :P

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Sure, as have I.

There is however a difference here which is again what I am trying to get across. XFS is an open source filesystem which has extensive enterprise use but apparently only has a single person maintaining it This is quite different to you getting burnt out at your job because you are working on some closed source project.

In the former case, the person got burnt out because they were the only person working on a project that at least has a lot of value (on the presumption that enterprises are using it a lot, else it no one would really care and it would share the same fate as reiserfs). In the latter this is because of typical corporate dysfunctional workplace structures.

This is the difference I am trying to articulate.
        That's too subtle a difference for me. If you're the only person doing the pulling, it matters little why. You're going to do it for a while, if you care about the project, and you're going to give up eventually.

Comment

Working...
        X