Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS File-System Maintainer Stepping Down

Phoronix: XFS File-System Maintainer Stepping Down

After six years as serving as the XFS file-system maintainer, Darrick Wong announced he'll be stepping down from this role and that really multiple developers need to step up to maintain XFS and help with testing and other responsibilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

XFS = the file system that can't shrink.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
      XFS = the file system that can't shrink.
      Also the filesystem that somehow implemented reflinks without even being CoW and in general is just really goddamn stable in my experience.

Thanks for your contributions Darrick and good luck with whatever endeavors you choose to follow now.

Comment

Reviewing has become a nightmare of sifting through under-documented kernel code trying to decide if this new feature won't break all the other features. Getting reviews is an unpleasant process of negotiating with demands for further cleanups, trying to figure out if a review comment is based in experience or unfamiliarity, and wondering if the silence means anything.
        Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post

Also the filesystem that somehow implemented reflinks without even being CoW and in general is just really goddamn stable in my experience.

Thanks for your contributions Darrick and good luck with whatever endeavors you choose to follow now.
          Well said. Indeed, have been using XFS for 20 years now, I think, and never any code-related issue (a couple of OOPses here and there, but no data loss, no crashes under load, etc.). Sad, but hopefully things will continue movinb on.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            Linux.
            I was about to say the same thing but you beat me to it.

But people who haven't contributed a single line of code will start barking about how their ideals work of course.

It's not just Linux though, many open source projects are very similar. But hey at least Linux doesn't block it by design at least.

Comment

I wonder if this affects or is affected by StratisD. I wouldn't assume outright, but I thought that project needed to add a lot of features to XFS

Comment

XFS still remains the gold standard for filesystems, I can only assume it would be a massive PITA to maintain that rep

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  It's not just Linux though, many open source projects are very similar.
                  As well as many closed source projects but atleast we wont ever have to see it unless we work for that specific company.

Comment

It sucks how badly the FOSS ecosystem burns out top devs. XFS is a fantastic file system, simple CLI, high performance, extremely reliable at scale. I sincerely hope it continues to be maintained!

Comment

Working...
                    X