Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emacs 29.1 Released - No Longer Chokes On Very Long Lines

Phoronix: Emacs 29.1 Released - No Longer Chokes On Very Long Lines

GNU Emacs 29.1 is out this morning as the latest update to this popular and powerful text editor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Booting EmacsOS 29.1 ...

Comment

Jokes apart, Emacs+Spacemacs is a very nice combination.

Comment

Proud member of the cult of Emacs.

Comment

I am always puzzled by the success of VSCode and the widespread ignorance towards emacs. Then I look at my colleagues and realize, that it is way to hard for them to configure spacemacs or demonstrate any understanding of their OS.

Comment

Tree-sitter looks nice (tree-edit). wait since years to have paredit for more languages. I know there was smartparens but it did not support fully all paredit features for most languages.

Otherwise a nice list about other chances would be interesting but less deep than the NEWS file.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              I am always puzzled by the success of VSCode and the widespread ignorance towards emacs. Then I look at my colleagues and realize, that it is way to hard for them to configure spacemacs or demonstrate any understanding of their OS.
              Most people just want their code editor to work so they can write, they don't want to configure the editor. You shouldn't have to understand things about the underlying operating system just to use a text editor.

VS Code is easy to use, Emacs is shit, it is hell to use, it is only used by neckbeards. Emacs is so horrible people even get physically injured by operating it, a phenomena called "emacs pinky".

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                Pretty much spot on with your assessment, especially the last part. The vast majority of devs these days have no idea what they are doing outside of the narrow confines of their education. Most people coming out of schools these days (especially bad in North America) think when they graduate they are done learning... this is a major issue!

If your colleagues even use anything Linux (VM, WSL2, etc.) that is a huge step up. Most devs I have run into choke on the very idea of leaving Windows... or in the case of front end devs MacOS.

All that said I actually use VSCode on Linux almost exclusively for all the coding I do. I really like some of its addons and functionality. Outside of VSCode for dev I love Nano. Used to use Vi for everything but Nano makes so much of configuring and terminal work a pleasure. Mix nano with tmux and who needs a desktop at all any more (except for running VSCode ).

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Pretty much spot on with your assessment, especially the last part. The vast majority of devs these days have no idea what they are doing outside of the narrow confines of their education. Most people coming out of schools these days (especially bad in North America) think when they graduate they are done learning... this is a major issue!

If your colleagues even use anything Linux (VM, WSL2, etc.) that is a huge step up. Most devs I have run into choke on the very idea of leaving Windows... or in the case of front end devs MacOS.

All that said I actually use VSCode on Linux almost exclusively for all the coding I do. I really like some of its addons and functionality. Outside of VSCode for dev I love Nano. Used to use Vi for everything but Nano makes so much of configuring and terminal work a pleasure. Mix nano with tmux and who needs a desktop at all any more (except for running VSCode ).
                  What pushed me to vscode was how randomly primary paste into emacs would stop working from text selected in xterms. That's pretty much all I ever wanted, with a nice zenburn theme. Maybe I should give doom emacs a shot, but with gh copilot, great python support the bar is quite high for me for larger projects.

Comment

Thanks to all the posters. This has been a delightfully entertaining thread to read.

Comment

Working...
                    X