No announcement yet.

OpenZFS 2.2-rc2 Brings Linux 6.5 Compatibility Fixes, Other Bugs Addressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a distro with Wayland and ZFS by default... Help!

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
      CachyOS KDE. That's what I use for a ZFS root + KDE Wayland. I've been running it since February and it's great. Performance oriented Arch with v3 repositories, OpenZFS root, and some desktop-oriented goodies in the repos. While Wayland wasn't default, it works well enough. About my biggest annoyance is some Dolphin side-panel flickering. With what I do, I really don't notice anything else.

I'm a bit conservative so I run it with linux-cachyos-lts. While I trust ptr1337 (hi, how are you?), I feel better knowing that I'm not running an unsupported (by OpenZFS) kernel with a custom patched ZFS (occasionally that scenario happens with linux-cachyos). It's just the nature of following upstream Linux as close as possible. I'd honestly prefer a linux-cachyos-lag kernel that just lags behind mainline and sticks to whatever OpenZFS supports.

thulle People here ask each other questions, ask for help, and ask for suggestions/recommendations. My apologies that you see that as off-topic.

Comment

i use nixos as my daily driver and on my nas. loving it.
        it also has bcachefs support by default (i don't recommend it right now, just if you want to play a little)

Comment

Wait... isn't that just basically FreeBSD?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Can I replace my 4TB HDDs with 4TB SSDs, one SSD at a time, over the next three or four months?.
            You have always been able to do this. Bear in mind the tear and wear on the remaining HDDs though, the churn is hard on them during resilvering.

Comment

DIY on your favourite distro. The best way currently in my opinion for ZFS root is booting via ZFSBootMenu, full guides here https://docs.zfsbootmenu.org/en/v2.2.x/

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                You have always been able to do this. Bear in mind the tear and wear on the remaining HDDs though, the churn is hard on them during resilvering.
                I found some fairly old horror stories when doing some searching about mixed-disk ZFS setups after my disk failed. Even though I assumed it would work nowadays, I still thought I'd ask about doing that at a place where people may have done that and/or actual OpenZFS developers might read and comment. I'll probably order an SSD later today.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I found some fairly old horror stories when doing some searching about mixed-disk ZFS setups after my disk failed. Even though I assumed it would work nowadays, I still thought I'd ask about doing that at a place where people may have done that and/or actual OpenZFS developers might read and comment. I'll probably order an SSD later today.
                  Make sure the capacity is equal or higher to the byte. 4TB doesn't mean the same for different manufacturers.

Comment

Working...
                  X