OpenZFS 2.2-rc2 Brings Linux 6.5 Compatibility Fixes, Other Bugs Addressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS 2.2-rc2 Brings Linux 6.5 Compatibility Fixes, Other Bugs Addressed

Phoronix: OpenZFS 2.2-rc2 Brings Linux 6.5 Compatibility Fixes, Other Bugs Addressed

Last month saw the first release candidate of OpenZFS 2.2 that introduces Linux container support, BLAKE3 checksums, and block cloning capabilities. Out this weekend is a second release candidate as OpenZFS 2.2 nears release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Downloads and more infromation on the OpenZFS 2.2-rc2 release via GitHub.​

Comment

I have a ZFS question I'm wondering if anyone can answer:

On Monday I had to reboot my PC where I noticed that one of the 3 HDDs in my RAIDZ went bad. Luckily, because it's ZFS, I could just pull the disk and keep on keepin on in a degraded state. What I'm wondering is "Can I replace my 4TB HDDs with 4TB SSDs, one SSD at a time, over the next three or four months?" I could care less about performance improvements, it's all about "Will ZFS let me do that and not eat my data?"

The moral of the story is to not buy those cheap-ass, janky Seagate Enterprise drives off of Amazon. It went out 3 months after the 5 year warranty expired.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I have a ZFS question I'm wondering if anyone can answer:

On Monday I had to reboot my PC where I noticed that one of the 3 HDDs in my RAIDZ went bad. Luckily, because it's ZFS, I could just pull the disk and keep on keepin on in a degraded state. What I'm wondering is "Can I replace my 4TB HDDs with 4TB SSDs, one SSD at a time, over the next three or four months?" I could care less about performance improvements, it's all about "Will ZFS let me do that and not eat my data?"

The moral of the story is to not buy those cheap-ass, janky Seagate Enterprise drives off of Amazon. It went out 3 months after the 5 year warranty expired.
        yes you can replace one hdd with a ssd. you will also get a small performance boost every time you do that.

EDIT: please make sure you use at least ashift=12 on that array. due to wear levelling thats even more important with ssds than hdds

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

yes you can replace one hdd with a ssd. you will also get a small performance boost every time you do that.

EDIT: please make sure you use at least ashift=12 on that array. due to wear levelling thats even more important with ssds than hdds
          I did that on the HDD array just to be future forward, anticipating a scenario like this happening

zpool get all | grep ashift
          zeta ashift 12 local
          zpcachyos ashift 12 local

zeta is the pool in question

Comment

I’m confused. The change log says compatible with 3.10 - 6.3 kernels but the title says this rc brings 6.5 compatibility fixes. If I understand it correctly the support is a work in progress and not completed.

Comment

What does

"introduces Linux container support"

Mean?

I'm running docker with the data saved in zfs already

Comment

"Can I replace my 4TB HDDs with 4TB SSDs, one SSD at a time, over the next three or four months?"
                It's pretty rude to hijack threads like that. Watch out that 4TB might differ in size between drives, more than one person has bought new drives only to find that they can't fit all the data of the old ones.

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
                What does "introduces Linux container support" Mean?
                support for namespaces and overlayfs:

https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/12263

Signed-off-by: Youzhong Yang [email protected] Motivation and Context fs.idmapped.v5.17 enables "the idmapping infrastructure to support idmapped mounts of filesystems mounted with an idmapp...

Last edited by thulle; 23 July 2023, 02:32 AM. Reason: adding 2nd reply

Comment

Originally posted by thulle View Post

It's pretty rude to hijack threads like that. Watch out that 4TB might differ in size between drives, more than one person has bought new drives only to find that they can't fit all the data of the old ones.

support for namespaces and overlayfs:

https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/12263
                  Motivation and Context Existing PRs for overlayfs support have made great progress over several years. I've incorporated the outstanding feedback and rebased. Description #9600 and #12209 with t...

Signed-off-by: Youzhong Yang [email protected] Motivation and Context fs.idmapped.v5.17 enables "the idmapping infrastructure to support idmapped mounts of filesystems mounted with an idmapp...
                  Posting the first ZFS related comment or question in a ZFS thread isn't hijacking a thread. That's literally being on topic and the opposite of hijacking a thread. With that said:

It's rude to falsely accuse people of things they didn't do followed by horribly mansplaining to them about drive sizes. For future reference, if you're going to mansplain you can at least mentioned the key information of 1000/1024, kib/kb, which is why 4TB on the box can result in 3.68TB in the OS.

Technically speaking, your false accusation of calling me a rude thread-jacker while being a mansplainer was hijacking the thread.

Now, when I posted ATi macro pictures in a random AMD CPU thread, that was thread hijacking.

What's funny is I'm probably the biggest thread hijacker and off-topic poster on Phoronix. This wasn't one of those times. I can assure you that you'd know if it was.

I'd like to thank you for the good laugh I'm having from this interaction. The irony of someone accusing someone else of being a thread hijacker when the accuser is the actual thread hijacker and caused the thread to go off-topic about being off-topic is very, very funny to me.

Shit. I just mansplained a mansplainer. Is that like a double negative where one cancels the other out? I can only hope.

Comment

Posting the first ZFS related comment or question in a ZFS thread isn't hijacking a thread.
                    Asking for random support in a news-thread is though, but you do you.

you can at least mentioned the key information of 1000/1024, kib/kb
                    That isn't the issue though, if it was it would be the same issue for SSD and HDD and cancel out anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X