No announcement yet.

Btrfs Deprecating Its Integrity Checker Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btrfs users don't need an integrity checker much like they don't a reliable RAID 5/6 solution based on Btrfs.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
      Btrfs users don't need an integrity checker much like they don't a reliable RAID 5/6 solution based on Btrfs.
      Usually I'd agree with this sentiment, but DM-Integrity is unusably slow. I'd love if BTRFS's algorithm replaced it, though.

Comment

That's another definition for impossibility (reliable RAID5/6 in Btrfs, given its architecture and the write hole).

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post
          Usually I'd agree with this sentiment, but DM-Integrity is unusably slow. I'd love if BTRFS's algorithm replaced it, though.
          100% of comments here are misguided attempts at starting a flame war.

Btrfs' integrity checker is nothing more than an internal debugging tool (that has outlived its usefulness). You are not supposed to use it if you are not actively debugging Btrfs code.​

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
            Has Btrfs some foundation to preserve and gain market traction and maybe some adoption among those who could like it and maybe make some progress?
            Well, it's the default filesystem for both Fedora and SUSE, it's heavily used at Meta (it's been mentioned as being the exclusive filesystem for their server fleet), it's the root filesystem in every Steam Deck, it's used by distributions like ChimeraOS to distribute new immutable root images, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
              You are not supposed to use it if you are not actively debugging Btrfs code.​
              100% of Btrfs users are actively debugging Btrfs code.</s>

​​​​​​(Honestly, I agree; a regular scrub is enough of a precaution. Heck, you can have it run just in the quietest two hours and pause it after that for resuming the day after.)

Comment

Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post

100% of Btrfs users are actively debugging Btrfs code.</s>
                we're actively debugging the whole HW and SW stack TBF.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                  [...] comments here are misguided attempts at starting a flame war.
                  starting with the name of the article of Phoronix.

Comment

btrfs was never about integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post

Well, it's the default filesystem for both Fedora and SUSE, it's heavily used at Meta (it's been mentioned as being the exclusive filesystem for their server fleet), it's the root filesystem in every Steam Deck, it's used by distributions like ChimeraOS to distribute new immutable root images, etc.
                      FWIW, the steam deck's use of BTRFS on the root FS is read only... The vast majority of file systems including super experimental ones are typically great in read only

I would personally feel very good about running my root folder on btrfs single disk read only!

Comment

Working...
                      X