Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcachefs File-System Plans To Try Again To Land In Linux 6.6

Phoronix: Bcachefs File-System Plans To Try Again To Land In Linux 6.6

While the Linux 6.5 kernel merge window just ended days ago and there still is two months to go until that stable release, already the lead developer of the Bcachefs file-system is working to get the code merged for Linux 6.6...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really wish him better luck this time.
    I am really looking forward to replace my zfs NAS with bcachefs.
    my distribution already includes bcachefs and i have used it a bit. but i am not willing to convert completely before it is mainlained (i do have backups though)

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
      I really wish him better luck this time.
      my distribution already includes bcachefs and i have used it a bit. but i am not willing to convert completely before it is mainlained (i do have backups though)
      For me, Bcachefs is mostly there to replace ZFS with all I do. At a minimum it needs datasets with per dataset options, tunable compression levels, support for SMR drives, and better multi-disk options and support. Those things being added would be enough to make the switch, though I'd still be missing some niche things (because ZFS does A LOT).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

For me, Bcachefs is mostly there to replace ZFS with all I do. At a minimum it needs datasets with per dataset options, tunable compression levels, support for SMR drives, and better multi-disk options and support. Those things being added would be enough to make the switch, though I'd still be missing some niche things (because ZFS does A LOT).
        AFAIK everything on your list (except smr support which is planned) already works and is considered stable.
        i'd really like to see something like zfs special devices in bcachefs. bcachefs tiered storage is nice though.

Comment

AFAIK everything on your list (except smr support which is planned) already works and is considered stable.
          i'd really like to see something like zfs special devices in bcachefs. bcachefs tiered storage is nice though.
          I don't think it has tunable compression levels. And of course the defaults are garbage and low compression.

Comment

That's why I said mostly there. A lot of it is in place or has a close-enough equivalent, but it just isn't as robust or as configurable as (Open)ZFS yet. There's like a 20+ year difference in development time so I'm not complaining and, based on Bcachefs history, I expect all my issues will be covered eventually.

Comment

why? what are the advantages of doing so?

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post

why? what are the advantages of doing so?
                i prefer a fs which is not out of tree.
                tiered storage is nice too.
                EDIT: It is also great to be able to remove and add disks whenever you want. i dont really need that though
                Last edited by flower; 12 July 2023, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  I don't think it has tunable compression levels. And of course the defaults are garbage and low compression.
                  you cant set the compression level but you can change the compression algo used.

Comment

I have a feeling it will be merged next time.

Comment

Working...
                    X