Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Based Hangover 8.11 Begins Integrating FEX Emulator Support

Phoronix: Wine-Based Hangover 8.11 Begins Integrating FEX Emulator Support

The Hangover open-source project has been working on supporting Windows apps and games on other CPU architectures like AArch64 running Linux. RISC-V and POWER9 are other CPU architectures of interest for enabling Hangover support. Besides leveraging the Wine software, Hangover to date has relied on the QEMU emulator as part of the implementation while now they have begun integrating FEX support too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am curious about how much performance difference you get between the two, at least on ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
      I am curious about how much performance difference you get between the two, at least on ARM.
      It would be nice to know!

Also, RISC-V...

Comment

I would love to have easy way to run windows applications on android. Currently I can create linux system with debootstrap, start X server, run whole x session with chroot and qemu and then run wine on top of it. But I wouldn't call it easy solution if I just sometimes need to run simple windows application.

There is old hangover for android but IIRC it wasn't really usable.

Comment

What's FEX?

Comment

neat, fex has shown some great stuff lately

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
              What's FEX?
              This thing: https://github.com/FEX-Emu/FEX

FEX allows you to run x86 and x86-64 binaries on an AArch64 host, similar to qemu-user and box86. It has native support for a rootfs overlay, so you don't need to chroot, as well as some thunklibs so it can forward things like GL to the host. FEX presents a Linux 5.0 interface to the guest, and supports both AArch64 and x86-64 as hosts. FEX is very much work in progress, so expect things to change.

Comment

Bringing togethor all the good parts of open source to create a compelling product thatbrings on board more interest, thereby fast-tracking a niche project into a (hopefully) core app for 'alternate' devices.

Which will possibly become de facto desktops of the future.

This is my kind of news.
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

It would be nice to know!

Also, RISC-V...
                  There is no FEX, but box64 has riscv support, there is even a working branch with a port of the JIT.

Comment

Omg, I just got that hangover is a word play on wine *facepalms*

Just wanted to share this epiphany/me being a bit slow for your amusement xD

Comment

Working...
                    X