Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow-Boot Downstream Of U-Boot Updated After Long Hiatus

Phoronix: Tow-Boot Downstream Of U-Boot Updated After Long Hiatus

Tow-Boot has been a "user-friendly" distribution of U-Boot that was seeing regular updates but for nearly one year has been on hiatus without any new releases. That changed overnight with Tow-Boot 2022.07-006 being released and a call for new developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This. This is why I didn't buy a PinePhone.

Comment

Do not like u-boot at all. I wish UEFI or coreboot were standard everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        U-boot can boot uefi systems.

Comment

Originally posted by misuzu View Post

U-boot can boot uefi systems.
          SystemD-boot does it a lot more elegantly.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
            Coreboot is standard on ChromeOS computers. And blame ARM for not having a standardized firmware interface.

Comment

Originally posted by Waethorn View Post

SystemD-boot does it a lot more elegantly.
              U-boot is literally loading systemd-boot on my SBC. While U-boot could be used as bootloader to load Linux directly (most ARM distros do this with their crappy scripts, I don't know why, please stop and just use UEFI), essentially it's more like a BIOS/UEFI firmware on regular x86 machines. The whole point of Tow-Boot is to make SBCs to behave more like regular UEFI PC, with menu-driven interface.
              Last edited by misuzu; 07 July 2023, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by misuzu View Post

U-boot is literally loading systemd-boot on my SBC. While U-boot could be used as bootloader to load Linux directly (most ARM distros do this with their crappy scripts, I don't know why, please stop and just use UEFI), essentially it's more like a BIOS/UEFI firmware on regular x86 machines. The whole point of Tow-Boot is to make SBCs to behave more like regular UEFI PC, with menu-driven interface.
                LOL That is so stupid. Blame ARM for that crap. Give me x86 any day so I don't have to deal with garbage like that.

Comment

Working...
                X