Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDisks 2.10 Released With Native NVMe Support, LVM2 RAID

Phoronix: UDisks 2.10 Released With Native NVMe Support, LVM2 RAID

UDisks 2.10 was released last week for this set abstraction layer providing a daemon and tooling around the manipulation of disks and storage devices under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks, I'm not a fan. This important piece of infrastructure has a very irritating 10 minute polling interval that breaks harddisk spindown by default (unless you set a shorter spindown timeout or specifically configure it via udisks2, which obviously requires knowing about udisks2):
    Let's solve this issue. I have 2 old Western Digital IDE harddisks that won't spin down when udisksd is running (unless I set their spindown timeout really short). I've had to: sudo kill -SIGSTOP u...

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
      Thanks, I'm not a fan. This important piece of infrastructure has a very irritating 10 minute polling interval that breaks harddisk spindown
      Why does it need to poll a fixed harddisk every 10 minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
        Why does it need to poll a fixed harddisk every 10 minutes?
        Well, that's just bonus functionality – reimplementing smartd. In the interest of letting my harddisks spin down, I bumped the (hardcoded) polling interval to 24h and ran that on my harddisk rig for years, and that was fine.

Its one essential job, which is why you can't get rid of it, is to respond to D-bus queries (about which storage devices exist, which btw could be done by filtering device nodes in /dev/ without spinning up anything) when you start KDE itself or KDE programs like Dolphin. Without it, they will hang forever. I actually thought they had fixed that, but I tried now, and Dolphin hangs on startup if I stop and disable udisksd.

I'm pretty sure I could implement just this essential functionality myself, and get it right, without any of the bonus functionality that the article is talking about.
        Last edited by andreano; 06 July 2023, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post

Well, that's just bonus functionality – reimplementing smartd. In the interest of letting my harddisks spin down, I bumped the (hardcoded) polling interval to 24h and ran that on my harddisk rig for years, and that was fine.

Its one essential job, which is why you can't get rid of it, is to respond to D-bus queries (about which storage devices exist, which btw could be done by filtering device nodes in /dev/ without spinning up anything) when you start KDE itself or KDE programs like Dolphin. Without it, they will hang forever. I actually thought they had fixed that, but I tried now, and Dolphin hangs on startup if I stop and disable udisksd.

I'm pretty sure I could implement just this essential functionality myself, and get it right, without any of the bonus functionality that the article is talking about.

I don't see any hanging here on Nixos with udisks disabled. KDE plasma and dolphin just work normally (of course, without the funcionality of udisks)

Comment

Working...
          X