Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.4 Bringing Great Improvements From AMD G.A.M. To Early Apple M2 Code, More Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.4 Bringing Great Improvements From AMD G.A.M. To Early Apple M2 Code, More Rust

Phoronix: Linux 6.4 Bringing Great Improvements From AMD G.A.M. To Early Apple M2 Code, More Rust

With it having been another smooth week so far in the upstream kernel world, it's looking like Linus Torvalds is likely to promote Linux 6.4 tomorrow rather than going ahead with an extra release candidate. As such, here's a reminder about what makes Linux 6.4 a great summer-time kernel upgrade...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Eagerly awaiting the guided mode benchmarks, got 6.3 late as I'm on debian testing and the amd_pstate active mode is a great improvement for gaming on towers, and for battery on laptops

Comment

Originally posted by citral View Post
      Eagerly awaiting the guided mode benchmarks, got 6.3 late as I'm on debian testing and the amd_pstate active mode is a great improvement for gaming on towers, and for battery on laptops
      isn't amd_pstate just for cpu/apu, and nothing to do with people with add in gpus?

Comment

Yes, when I'm downstairs I game on a 5600G, the regular stuttering is completely gone in wot blitz since I switched from passive to active, I suppose it's the same on laptop apus but haven't tested yet. The PC upstairs has a 6700XT so I have no issue, enabled it just for perf/watts slight improvements according to benchmarks

Comment

Wow, I compiled the latest linux git and tried the guided mode and for the first time in awhile I saw a dramatic difference in my R7 5700X clock speeds. When it's not doing anything many cores now drop down to 500 MHz, sometimes even 300 or 350, and the millisecond I start doing anything, from browsing to running VMs, the clock speeds perk right up to where they should be. I haven't run any benchmarks yet but I didn't notice any difference at all in responsiveness. I'm impressed.

By the way I'm running Arch XFCE with the default schedutil. All I did was add "amd_pstate=guided" to grub and everything magically worked.

Comment

Working...
          X