SVT-AV1 1.6 Squeezes Out Even More Performance For CPU-Based AV1 Encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT-AV1 1.6 Squeezes Out Even More Performance For CPU-Based AV1 Encoding

Phoronix: SVT-AV1 1.6 Squeezes Out Even More Performance For CPU-Based AV1 Encoding

SVT-AV1 1.6 is now available as the latest version for this leading CPU-based AV1 encoder that is now enjoying 30~40% faster performance with high quality presets...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that's really cool!

Comment

still no 422/444 support T.T, Latency is also still a tad high last I checked but its getting under control now

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Downloads and more details on SVT-AV1 1.6 for further pushing the bounaries of speedy

Comment

It's all nice and dandy this project, but can I use it to watch videos in my browser? Can somebody explain why it is useful? Is it only for ffmpeg and applications?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Dimitrov View Post
            It's all nice and dandy this project, but can I use it to watch videos in my browser? Can somebody explain why it is useful? Is it only for ffmpeg and applications?
            AFAIK, this is used in the encoding side, whether you are recording/streaming or transcoding. This means that it is now cheaper to encode in AV1.

Comment

this is for producing av1 streams (IE live calls, video streaming storage etc.) ffmpeg does use it yes, but I believe there were a couple video chat programs that use it

Comment

No,

SVT-AV1 is an encoder only, it is used to create AV! streams.

For decoding all new versions, of all browsers, Linux, Windows and Mac OS, support AV1, and for local playback all software players I have tried, VLC, smplayer, etc, support playback.

The main draw of AV1 in general is that it is royalty free and that at low bit rates it offers significantly better quality than AVC and HEVC.

The reality is that as bit rate starts approaching the archival range, the differences decrease between AVC, HEVC and AV1.

Having said this, I currently consider svt-av1 to be the best encoder currently available at low bit rates.

Of course, since i am not one to bit rate starve my encodes, I am usually inclined to recommend x264 with the very fast preset and just let the bit rate fly, i.e. use something like CRF 15 and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

No,

SVT-AV1 is an encoder only, it is used to create AV! streams.

For decoding all new versions, of all browsers, Linux, Windows and Mac OS, support AV1, and for local playback all software players I have tried, VLC, smplayer, etc, support playback.

The main draw of AV1 in general is that it is royalty free and that at low bit rates it offers significantly better quality than AVC and HEVC.

The reality is that as bit rate starts approaching the archival range, the differences decrease between AVC, HEVC and AV1.

Having said this, I currently consider svt-av1 to be the best encoder currently available at low bit rates.

Of course, since i am not one to bit rate starve my encodes, I am usually inclined to recommend x264 with the very fast preset and just let the bit rate fly, i.e. use something like CRF 15 and call it a day.
                  if you don't mind slower encodes or using av1an, aomenc gets a good chunk better quaility:efficiency then svtav1

Comment

is svt-av1 also good for encoding avif images? I'm currently using libaom which works well enough but i have many hundreds of thousands of images and it's quite slow. it's almost been made much harder to search these things up now that the av1 subreddit has been deleted from the universe. also, does nvidia's 40 series av1_nvenc support encoding avif or just av1 video?

Comment

Working...
                    X