Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.71 Released With Performance Improvements, Zero Latency JACK D-Bus Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.71 Released With Performance Improvements, Zero Latency JACK D-Bus Bridge

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.71 Released With Performance Improvements, Zero Latency JACK D-Bus Bridge

PipeWire 0.3.71 is out today as the newest update to this now widely-used open-source solution for managing Linux audio and video streams and serving as a viable replacement to the likes of PulseAudio and JACK for audio needs on the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember when audio problems were a thing in Linux. ALSA, barely any configuration, no per app sound adjustment, compatibility problems. Then early Pulseaudio days, bugs, massive stuttering and latency.
    These days are long gone and audio subsystem just works in all distros. ❤️

Comment

So, BAP stands for Basic Audio Profile​ for Bluetooth LE.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        So, BAP stands for Basic Audio Profile​ for Bluetooth LE.
        In another universe, BAP stands for Bronze Age Pervert

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
          I remember when audio problems were a thing in Linux. ALSA, barely any configuration, no per app sound adjustment, compatibility problems. Then early Pulseaudio days, bugs, massive stuttering and latency.
          I remember using a 5.1 sound system and having problems with ALSA. Pulseaudio came and had a rocky launch for sure, but today I barely notice it exists. Today my Surround sound works better than ever.

Comment

the only thing i wish was the ability to easy change sample rates and bit rate. i know pipewire allows it, but you have to go digging into configuration files. i wish the big desktop enviroments created an easy way to change these in their settings. a simple "24 bit, 192khz, 32bit, 384hz" etc.windows has had this ability for a very long time and windows 11 made it even easier to do.

whats also a shame is that pipewire has a cool feature where you can set multiple sample rates that is supported by the sound card, and have it switch to that sample rate when the source file matches it. by default if multiple streams are playing it will use the highest sample rate, but when sitting back enjoying music, if its 44khz, sample rate is 44, 92khz, sample rate is 92khz, etc. it be really nice if that was exposed via say gnome's setting panel or kde's setting panel.
            Last edited by pieman; 17 May 2023, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
              the only thing i wish was the ability to easy change sample rates and bit rate. i know pipewire allows it, but you have to go digging into configuration files. i wish the big desktop enviroments created an easy way to change these in their settings. a simple "24 bit, 192khz, 32bit, 384hz" etc.windows has had this ability for a very long time and windows 11 made it even easier to do.
              Bit depth is always float for processing and the highest depth your hardware supports (24 or32 bits likely, this conversion is lossless).

You don't have to edit config files to change sample rate, you can change it at runtime with the pw-metadata command: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew...erate-settings

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                yes. it was a long time ago.....quite a lot of seconds.....the other day the sound started to sound weird in a game just because i started a clip in firefox.....so yeah....the sound system is still crap these days

Comment

Originally posted by Wtay View Post

Bit depth is always float for processing and the highest depth your hardware supports (24 or32 bits likely, this conversion is lossless).

You don't have to edit config files to change sample rate, you can change it at runtime with the pw-metadata command: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew...erate-settings
                  it still be nice to change the bit rate via a gui manually. just like it be nice to change the sample rate via a gui.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post

yes. it was a long time ago.....quite a lot of seconds.....the other day the sound started to sound weird in a game just because i started a clip in firefox.....so yeah....the sound system is still crap these days
                    Sorry, not my experience. (Debian Testing) with pipewire 0.3.65-3.

Comment

Working...
                    X