No announcement yet.

Zstd 1.5.5 Released With Corruption Fix, Improved Performance In Some Scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd 1.5.5 Released With Corruption Fix, Improved Performance In Some Scenarios

Phoronix: Zstd 1.5.5 Released With Corruption Fix, Improved Performance In Some Scenarios

Just two months after Zstd 1.5.4 was published, Zstd 1.5.5 has been released as the newest version of this Zstandard compression algorithm implementation. Zstd 1.5.5's release is motivated by addressing a rare corruption bug fix but also has various performance optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I generally don't like the "rewrite it in Rust" approach but since Zstd is becoming new Zip it could be worthwhile.

Comment

The article didn't mention rust or did I miss something?

Anyway, more than double the performance is pretty neat, I thought there is not much left to optimize with zstd.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post

Anyway, more than double the performance is pretty neat, I thought there is not much left to optimize with zstd.
        That improvement is some binary patch functionality of the commandline tool. The (de-)compression performance itself (the zstd DSO) is unlikely to see big jumps (atleast on x86/arm where there are already optimizations down to ASM).

Comment

If you scour the Zstd issues you can find this comment from terrelln from a year and a half ago:

We definitely can't promise anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a community-built rust compressor out in the next few years.

I'm also interested in writing a fast & safe rust (de)compressor. But, that would be more of a personal project for me, so I can't promise anything, or give you any dates.
          ​
          Devil's Advocate: Does that imply Zstd is currently slow and unsafe?

Thanks, C.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Devil's Advocate: Does that imply Zstd is currently slow and unsafe?
            He probably meant that if he writes one, it won't be for demonstration purposes, he'll shoot straight for it becoming a viable alternative.

Comment

discordian THX I was wondering what this --patch-from flag was about ...

There is a decompressor allready: https://github.com/KillingSpark/zstd-rs

Also he wrote "fast and safe" not "faster and saver". Although rewriting it in rust would make it's savety proveable at least.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                He probably meant that if he writes one, it won't be for demonstration purposes, he'll shoot straight for it becoming a viable alternative.
                I was just making a joke C's expense. The ole Rust Good, C Bad hurr durr.

Didn't mean to imply anything about anything

If Nick did it I imagine it would be a great tool regardless of the language. He's done a lot of great stuff over the years that myself and lot of us here rely on daily.

Comment

discordian THX I was wondering what this --patch-from flag was about ...
                  In `--patch-from` mode, a "reference" file is used as a "dictionary" to compress another file.

This is particularly efficient when the 2 files are related, say for example a new version.

I just tested compressing Linux6.2.tar source code (~1.3 GB) using Linux 6.1.tar as a reference.
                  It got compressed to an insanely small ~6 MB.

Of course, the decompression side must also have the same "reference" file to be able to regenerate the target file.

Comment

Uhh that sounds like a perfect fit for package management and distribution.

Comment

Working...
                    X