Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds' Advice On Git Merges: "If you cannot explain a merge, then JUST DON'T DO IT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds' Advice On Git Merges: "If you cannot explain a merge, then JUST DON'T DO IT"

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds' Advice On Git Merges: "If you cannot explain a merge, then JUST DON'T DO IT"

The Linux 6.3 merge window has been off to a good start with Linus Torvalds receiving plenty of pull requests in advance, the other early pulls all coming in quite orderly, and no colorful commentary on any of the material set for Linux 6.3 even with the likes of Microsoft Pluton (TPM2 CRB). But today Torvalds' did feel the need to share some wisdom around Git merge log message advice...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Insert NSA backdoor" seemed too obvious.

Comment

"It ended up being that the merge was of fixes for the prior Linux 6.2 cycle but the developer involved will work to express it more clearly in the future."
      And his doctor has recommended excellent cream for his buttocks after the 5 minute "conversation" in Torvalds' office.

Torvalds, always on top of things, has also ordered a new whip on Amazon to get back to full productivity.

Comment

Similar thing actually happened to me quite some time ago, trying to merge a fix for IEEE-488 bus interfaces. That was before git and in a different communication style, but he's absolutely right. If I can not even state the bug report or reason I want the merge (in my case no report existed), he has no chance to verify why I try to get the fix pushed. It's just missing context. In this case, I absolutely am in favor of the criticism.

Comment

I have to commend Linus for this one: you can read through the lines that he was biting his tongue while writing all this and keeping his feedback civil. I totally understand his frustration, but he's learned how to hold back and stay polite, in stead of flaming the recipient of his critique. Kudos.

Comment

git_commit.png

This is the very first thing that came to mind... but in general I fully side with Torvalds on this one! Also looks like all that sensitivity training is finally kicking in

Edit: One of these days I am so base64 encoding that image and pasting that as my commit comment!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
              I have to commend Linus for this one: you can read through the lines that he was biting his tongue while writing all this and keeping his feedback civil. I totally understand his frustration, but he's learned how to hold back and stay polite, in stead of flaming the recipient of his critique. Kudos.
              No no nooooo this is not good, the flaming actually was productive...

Comment

Was "Does stuff for things." not explanatory enough?

Comment

I’m also glad that he kept things civil, but he’s set the bar so low for himself that it’s not impressive to go above it.

Comment

"then just state it, dammit" old linus is still in there... frankly the Linux foundation needs to loose him, because probably nobody is going to listen and this will just happen again most likely a couple times in the next release alone.

Comment

Working...
                    X