No announcement yet.

Btrfs Enjoys More Performance With Linux 6.3 - Including Some 3~10x Speedups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen movement from StratisD, but haven't yet seen checksums+ healing and I can't recall if transparent compression is in scope.

And maybe BCacheFS will also mainline this year.

It'll be interesting to see where these 3 projects land in the next few years and how they'll compare.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

... And honestly the features of btrfs is kinda lost on games from Steam since Steam calcs it's own checksums and can just download corrupted files anew.
      Btrfs also offers deduplication and transparent compression which is useful on devices with limited storage like the deck.

Edit 1: fong38 provided some numbers in their comment further down.

Edit 2: There's also a community maintained database for compressing games on Windows.
      Last edited by Vermilion; 21 February 2023, 02:22 PM. Reason: Provide numbers.

Comment

Dear Steam Users,

Just use OpenZFS.

It has transparent compression (and more compression options), you can say fuck it and turn off checksums since Steam'll do it for you, you can enable case folding, you can turn COW on and off on a per directory basis so you can get rid of COW overhead, and unlike TLC it's into scrubs.

I believe I just covered every feature mentioned in the BTRFS vs Ext4 for Games and Steam debate.

So does anyone else think that the BTRFS logo looks like a cassette tape being ate up in a cassette deck?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Dear Steam Users,

Just use OpenZFS.

It has transparent compression (and more compression options), you can say fuck it and turn off checksums since Steam'll do it for you, you can enable case folding, you can turn COW on and off on a per directory basis so you can get rid of COW overhead, and unlike TLC it's into scrubs.

I believe I just covered every feature mentioned in the BTRFS vs Ext4 for Games and Steam debate.

So does anyone else think that the BTRFS logo looks like a cassette tape being ate up in a cassette deck?
          Using ZFS on Linux is a no go until it's a real Linux filesystem. Too many bugs and corner cases that will never be fixed until its codebase is in the linux kernel tree. ZFS is for Solaris neckbreads and FreeBSD cucks.

Comment

Would really love to see some BtrFS benchmarks across kernel revisions, particularly around RAID5/6 with all of these recent improvements. Maybe something once 6.3 is released?

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
              btrfs doesnt support casefold. so ext4 is better for wine/proton
              Couldn't that be handled by Wine or Proton? The software it's running would be using Windows's file system API so there have to be intercepting those and dealing with them in their own way. They could look for other files in the directory with the same name but different casing if they don't find it on the first try.

Comment

Oooooo now it can eat data faster!!! (Sorry this is a troll moment).

Comment

Does it need a freshly formatted BTRFS partition with Linux 6.3 to benefit of the new speedups and features ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

Using ZFS on Linux is a no go until it's a real Linux filesystem. Too many bugs and corner cases that will never be fixed until its codebase is in the linux kernel tree. ZFS is for Solaris neckbreads and FreeBSD cucks.
                    I wouldn't want ZFS even if it was upstreamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

you want to hear a genie command:
                      systemd_openZFS

Comment

Working...
                      X