Btrfs Enjoys More Performance With Linux 6.3 - Including Some 3~10x Speedups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Btrfs also offers deduplication and transparent compression which is useful on devices with limited storage like the deck.
    But games should already have quite compressed assets and most likely are not sharing assets across other games so IMHO both should be quite useless on the deck, but that is a guess of mine and not a stated fact so would be interested to see real numbers here.

Comment

I've been using btrfs on all of my partitions for over 4 years now. The only thing I'd recommend tweaking is disabling CoW for the SteamLibrary directory. Not even once did I have any issues with Wine/Proton due to missing fs-level casefold. AFAIK Wine includes some code that allows it to work just fine on case-sensitive filesystems.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Couldn't that be handled by Wine or Proton? The software it's running would be using Windows's file system API so there have to be intercepting those and dealing with them in their own way. They could look for other files in the directory with the same name but different casing if they don't find it on the first try.
        It's slow as hell to do it within the application though and you also risk introduce errors because external software can add file, FiLE and fiLE and our application is quite screwed. Less error cases and higher performance to have the FS be caseless.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

Using ZFS on Linux is a no go until it's a real Linux filesystem. Too many bugs and corner cases that will never be fixed until its codebase is in the linux kernel tree. ZFS is for Solaris neckbreads and FreeBSD cucks.
          What an absolutely absurd statement. Look up ztest. https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-do...1/ztest.1.html

Since before they even finished writing it, ZFS has been pounded harder than any other filesystem, every single day. ZFS' developers (now at Delphix) have been doing continuous integration across a variety of configurations, stress tests, and strange scenarios since the early 2000's. It's allowed them to catch several real edge case failures so that no user ever had to.

No other filesystem has ever received this level of continuous, thorough testing, especially for it's entire history.

I definitely can't say the same for linux's filesystem testing, when the testing itself is buggy as all hell. https://lwn.net/Articles/896670/
          Last edited by Developer12; 21 February 2023, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

What an absolutely absurd statement. Look up ztest. https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-do...1/ztest.1.html

Since before they even finished writing it, ZFS has been pounded harder than any other filesystem, every single day. They've been doing continuous integration across a variety of configurations, stress tests, and strange scenarios since the early 2000's. It's allowed them to catch several real edge case failures so that no user ever had to.

No other filesystem has ever received this level of continuous, thorough testing, especially for it's entire history.

I definitely can't say the same for linux's filesystem testing, when the testing itself is buggy as all hell. https://lwn.net/Articles/896670/
            ZFS still not a good fit for a Steam game directory though.

What Steam games need is casefolding, sequential speed, low access latency, low task energy (especially for the Deck), and maybe compression. The game data integrity itself is not really important, and the library can easily be split across drives.

TBH I think ext4 is a better fit than btrfs since its faster. F2FS would be even better if its lz4 compression actually saved space.
            Last edited by brucethemoose; 21 February 2023, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Looks like sirlucjan already put out a btrfs 6.3 patchset that can be easily applied on 6.2 https://gitlab.com/sirlucjan/kernel-...ev-patches-all, nice

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Couldn't that be handled by Wine or Proton? The software it's running would be using Windows's file system API so there have to be intercepting those and dealing with them in their own way. They could look for other files in the directory with the same name but different casing if they don't find it on the first try.
                That's potentially quadratic to the length of the path and the operations being syscalls make it very poorly performant. Also, you wouldn't know if you opened the right file if two differ only in case.

Comment

brucethemoose Since when is data integrity not important?

Comment

Originally posted by Jakobson View Post
                    I'd like to know which one is faster with recent SSDs and striping, e.g. BTRFS-RAID0 or md-RAID0+ext4.
                    I have not tested and are biased towards BTRFS for the most part, but since reliability is not important (raid0) I am dead sure it is MD+ext4. However I would seriously look at md+XFS if speed is something you care about.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, the biggest two gaps for BTRFS that made EXT4 the default were:
                      1. Allowing case sensitive insensitive directories / Filesystem (used by Wine in some cases)
                      2. Performance

I don't know to what extent these are/were true and whether 6.3 and later will close these gaps.
                      1. I don't think N#1 priority in Linux is supporting windows games on wine.
                      2. If that would be the case XFS would be default.
                      3. Ext4 is old shit. Btrfs is new that never delivered, hopefully the new disk format will change that.

Comment

Working...
                      X