Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Hyper-V Nested Hypervisor Support Comes For Linux 6.3

Phoronix: Microsoft Hyper-V Nested Hypervisor Support Comes For Linux 6.3

Several months back I wrote about Microsoft working on nested hypervisor support for Hyper-V with the Linux kernel. That work is now ready to go for the in-development Linux 6.3 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

60d12311497dd8eb142f2a41f2f8a0fd.jpg

Since I dont know at which stage of EEE we currently are.

Comment

Daily reminder that EEE only works if your project is not meeting the needs of the users.

I think the Linux kernel itself is fine. Wayland desktop versus WSL on the other hand......

Comment

Originally posted by Vaporeon View Post
        Daily reminder that EEE only works if your project is not meeting the needs of the users.

I think the Linux kernel itself is fine. Wayland desktop versus WSL on the other hand......
        And EEE only works if the one doing EEE does not release source code. This news is about code contributed to the kernel which is under the GPL 2 so there is no EEE risk here.

That does not mean Microsoft is benevolent. Microsoft is still Microsoft.

Comment

V nested, reminds me of the TV show V(the vistors wearing visors) where invader aliens hide inside humans ready to take over, just like microsoft and linux. Microsoft and V
          both like the color orange.

hyper_v_on_earth.jpg

Comment

Oh look, another anti-Wayland troll, how cute.... Guess what, X11 is far worse compared to the Windows 11 graphics stack. Wayland is the only way the Linux desktop could ever catch up...

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
              60d12311497dd8eb142f2a41f2f8a0fd.jpg

Since I dont know at which stage of EEE we currently are.
              Thanks for that stunning analysis, great contribution.

I don't think MS is trying to EEE Linux, that gains them nothing. Linux is a great asset for their cloud offering and does not compete with them.

Everyone here thinking this is a battle for the desktop is stuck in the 90s. Microsoft doesn't even care about the desktop anymore; no one does. Cloud is where the money is.

Comment

Imagine thinking Microsoft gives a toot about desktop renderers when Windows is around 10% of their revenue (~$4.8bil vs ~$52bil total for the quarter). Xbox is more important to them right now.

Yall are fighting yesterday's war.

Comment

Originally posted by ll1025 View Post

Imagine thinking Microsoft gives a toot about desktop renderers when Windows is around 10% of their revenue (~$4.8bil vs ~$52bil total for the quarter). Xbox is more important to them right now.

Yall are fighting yesterday's war.
                  Windows are central to their other projects though... It is their windows monopoly that gave them leverage in other areas, including Xbox which without direct3d's dominance would have been a dead console. They may not make most of their money directly through windows licences (mainly because most people pirate them especially in places like China or get them very cheap through OEMs) but without Windows they will crumble eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Windows are central to their other projects though...
                    It's really not, you can make an entire Azure stack without using a single Windows instance. They make SAML / Oauth dead simple, they handle the directory, the 2fa, the virtual networking... Why do they care if your desktop is Windows or Ubuntu, or your code is ASP.NET or python?

Office no longer relies on Windows, it's all in the cloud and so is the money.

but without Windows they will crumble eventually.
                    To whom? They've pivoted, theyre *AAS providers now specifically to eliminate that risk. Whatever your platform, they can now capture your business.

Comment

Working...
                    X