X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by qarium View Post

i bought a intel arc a380 for my mothers computer and on fedora 37 nothing but software rendering at 1024x800 pixel works... but you are right to fix your problem the a380 should be fine

but problem is the driver is not ready yet.
    kernel 6.1 should has working 3d accel for me, kernel 6.2 has working video acceleration, and a good number of bugs ironed out. it's been a pretty pleasant experience aside from recompiling kernel every now and then ofc

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Because it's way too powerful and expensive to be used as a standalone accelerator (like I would with an Intel A380) and it also lacks hw av1 encoding compared to the A380 which is another big plus. I could use it as my main card instead of the RX580 but at this point it won't be a worthy enough upgrade, especially considering the lack of hw av1 encoding.
    i bought a intel arc a380 for my mothers computer and on fedora 37 nothing but software rendering at 1024x800 pixel works... but you are right to fix your problem the a380 should be fine

but problem is the driver is not ready yet.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied

If there is one thing that I've learned about codecs is to refrain from judging a video format until extensive testing has been done.
    and I do agree since it's hard to judge potential for instance, AV1 encoders still have a long way to go. it's not just VVC afterall. but thats qhy IMO it's all the more confusing to me

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

forgive me, I haven't seen the video, but comparing to the fastest and least efficient codec is an odd comparison, especially when SVT-AV1 is laser focused on fast encodes, so much so that it doesn't even support 422 or 444 encoding​
    If there is one thing that I've learned about codecs is to refrain from judging a video format until extensive testing has been done.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by qarium View Post

the cheapest AMD card with AV1 decode is the RX6600 for 263€
    ✔ Preisvergleich für PowerColor Radeon RX 6600 Fighter ✔ Bewertungen ✔ Produktinfo ⇒ Anschlüsse: 1x HDMI 2.1, 3x DisplayPort 1.4a • Grafik: AMD Radeon RX 6600 - 8GB GDDR6 - Desktop • Chip: N… ✔ PCIe ✔ Testberichte ✔ Günstig kaufen

why do you think this is to expensive ?
    Because it's way too powerful and expensive to be used as a standalone accelerator (like I would with an Intel A380) and it also lacks hw av1 encoding compared to the A380 which is another big plus. I could use it as my main card instead of the RX580 but at this point it won't be a worthy enough upgrade, especially considering the lack of hw av1 encoding.

Leave a comment:

• Alex123
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

forgive me, I haven't seen the video, but comparing to the fastest and least efficient codec is an odd comparison, especially when SVT-AV1 is laser focused on fast encodes, so much so that it doesn't even support 422 or 444 encoding​
    VVenC doesn't support 422 or 444 encoding as well, but that is irrelevant for this benchmark. The slide shows VVenC encoding video as effectively as SVT-AV1, while doing so ~ 5–40 times faster.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Anux View Post
    In the video he claims 20% more encoding efficency than SVT-AV1 and that they have done subjektiv tests with people. Although I think that 20% is not enough to switch to a patented codec. It might improve in the future, now its in an early stage (no handwritten ASM for example).

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Yes of course I could, but Intel Arc drivers are... "suboptimal" at the moment and would require a huge effort on my side to get them working on ppc64le (and I won't probably even succeed unless someone else helps me).
    AMD cards with av1 decoding capabilities on the other side are way too expensive ATM.
    I've managed to find a way better solution which is convincing Raptor CS to evaluate sponsoring dav1d asm optimizations for ppc64: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/dav1d/-/issues/281
    Unfortunately for reasons behind my comprehension Luca Barbato didn't even answer to my email :/

the cheapest AMD card with AV1 decode is the RX6600 for 263€
    ✔ Preisvergleich für PowerColor Radeon RX 6600 Fighter ✔ Bewertungen ✔ Produktinfo ⇒ Anschlüsse: 1x HDMI 2.1, 3x DisplayPort 1.4a • Grafik: AMD Radeon RX 6600 - 8GB GDDR6 - Desktop • Chip: N… ✔ PCIe ✔ Testberichte ✔ Günstig kaufen

why do you think this is to expensive ?

Leave a comment:

• Artim
    replied
    Originally posted by brad0 View Post

It does default to AV1.
    Even more interesting as it doesn't for me. It seems Googles decision making who gets AV1 by default is a little more complicated as expected. As I elaborated earlier YouTube does default to AV1 for me on other videos independent of resolution (given that it's 1080p max and obviously given it's available). It didn't for this video. I had to ask yt-dlp if there even was an AV1 version.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    On the mobile side or the desktop side?
    Hardware period.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X