Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dasein View Post
    Apple has joined the three suffix gang aka tsg
    Because Apple ever had a browser leading in anything but lack of actually interesting features? You're funny

Comment

• Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
      Well, webp is supported in every browser and not "hidden", it just works.
      It is also supported in LibreOffice, Gimp 2.99, content management systems, wiki engines, and so on.

Any other format would have to be significantly better than webp, not just better than the old JPG. I have used webp for some years now, both the compressed and the lossless version, and I really don't miss anything. Nor do I miss just another format like jpeg xl.
      A friend of mine routinely generates images up to 24000x24000 that doesn't compress well with PNG, compress really well with JPEG but losing transparency, and doesn't compress at all using WebP because WebP is limited in resolution.

Edit: Yes, earlier I did say WebP is good enough. Until said friend of mine lamented loudly to me and I did a deep dive. Now I've changed my mind.
      Last edited by pepoluan; 28 June 2023, 07:47 AM. Reason: yes, I've changed my mind

Comment

• Originally posted by pepoluan View Post
        A friend of mine routinely generates images up to 24000x24000 that doesn't compress well with PNG, compress really well with JPEG but losing transparency, and doesn't compress at all using WebP because WebP is limited in resolution.

Edit: Yes, earlier I did say WebP is good enough. Until said friend of mine lamented loudly to me and I did a deep dive. Now I've changed my mind.
        Then he might just try AVIF, it supports both transparency and much larger pictures. And is still supported by more software than jxl

Comment

• Originally posted by pepoluan View Post
          friend of mine lamented loudly to me
          I think the first question should be: why does your friend do such odd things, everybody else would use tiles.
          Last edited by Go_Vulkan; 30 June 2023, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X