X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I wonder why they keep insisting on using a potentially backdoored TPM...
    They enable it. Besides, anything can be backdoored, there are whole ring -1 management engines built on most mobos, TPM is the least of your worries, and they have some upsides that other people care about. Pick your poison, but don't pee on everyone else's.

What's the point of this?
    who cares if I use an undupported OS or not?
    Is this for nagging and forcing people to always move to the latest crap?
    I definitely not like such bullshit!
    If systemd developers adding crap, I'm afraid more and more of use will ump to the against-systemd side.
    You're clearly already on that side, but let's follow some logic here. If your OS is unsupported, when you try to file a bug it's useful for the devs to quickly know they can ignore your report. That's why they declare stuff unsupported, because they're explicitly telling you "you're on your own here". Tainting is (generally, don't know the specifics here) just that, adding a line to the logs that states the system is unsupported. Just like the kernel does if you load proprietary modules. Nobody will force you to move to the latest crap, but they won't help you when you have issues either.

Leave a comment:

• Mahboi
    replied
    I wonder if they'll do systemd-mars-colony for the 300th.
    Systemd-Windows-13 for the 400th?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Michael I might have said some bad words

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    I think it's funny that there's still bickering back and forth over usr-merges and things of that nature when we should really be bickering over competing ideas for a FHS 4.0. I'd love it if we could get rid of all the damn three letter directories with stupid backronmys that attempt to make sense of it all like "Editable Text Configuration" and "Unix System Resources" and go with longer names similar to macOS. It's 2022 and we need to get past these three letter holdouts from the late 80s when file systems were half-retarded.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    You have to show first that it is, every single piece of hw is a potential backdoor. So far no evidence of TPM being backdoor-ed exists, it's just a secure key storage facility.

If systemd developers adding crap, I'm afraid more and more of use will ump to the against-systemd side.
    This is one of several taint flags and taint flags will be logged to the journal during boot, and you can at any time fetch the set taint flags with "busctl get-property org.freedesktop.systemd1 /org/freedesktop/systemd1 org.freedesktop.systemd1.Manager Tainted". This way organizations can collect those with scripts and let the IT department get a nice log of which users on their net that runs e.g out of date OS:es.
    Last edited by F.Ultra; 07 October 2022, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    There's also X developers conference: https://www.youtube.com/c/XOrgFoundation

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    systemd-measure has been added as a helper to precalculate PCR measurements to make it easier facilitating TPM2 policies.

- Systemd will set a "support-ended" taint flag if it detects the OS image is past its end-of-support date. This goes along with os-release gaining a new "SUPPORT_END=" field for specifying a date when the OS support is considered then unsupported.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by nist View Post
    It seems to me that since we have adopted systemd there isn't smooth transition (= no text logs) during boot/shutdown anymore. With and without playmouth installed. Is that because systemd take the ownership of the first console? Any new alternative to this old, despotic program?
    if you don't see logs during boot or shutdown then it sounds like your kernel is set to be "quiet" when booting, this have zero to do with systemd.

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    For the first time in three years there's a new WineConf conference with lots of interesting talks.

Watch it here:

Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlkhoUfYjJ8
    Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBK0M711-Q

Michael has overlooked it for some reasons.
    Good to know, but a little off topic.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    For the first time in three years there's a new WineConf conference with lots of interesting talks.

Watch it here:

Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlkhoUfYjJ8
    Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBK0M711-Q

Michael has overlooked it for some reasons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X