X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

As a Unix admin for 20 years now all I can think is "What is this desktop bullshit.. use uname" - idiot "feature" from idiot desktop ppl.

There is no such thing as a Linux desktop, get over it.. Mac is Unix on the desktop.
    As a unix admin for longer I could tell you that the tainted flags show more than just the version of the kernel so uname is no replacement. And if there are no Linux desktop then I wonder what all the people at work are running on their machines, it does look like an actual desktop. Mac is nothing both overpriced hw for hipsters.

Leave a comment:

• flower
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I think it's funny that there's still bickering back and forth over usr-merges and things of that nature when we should really be bickering over competing ideas for a FHS 4.0. I'd love it if we could get rid of all the damn three letter directories with stupid backronmys that attempt to make sense of it all like "Editable Text Configuration" and "Unix System Resources" and go with longer names similar to macOS. It's 2022 and we need to get past these three letter holdouts from the late 80s when file systems were half-retarded.
    tbh who cares how a directory is called?
    it's enough when they are consistent.

text configuration files are perfect. you can use git to track changes, easy to copy and backup. no fancy tool needed to change a setting.

it sounds like you see linux as a desktop system or want it to be one. it is not. you can use it as such (as i do) but thats not where it shines.

if you want to lake a look at a linux distribution which really tries to solve some of linux challanges take a look at nixos.

Leave a comment:

• k1e0x
    replied
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
    You have to show first that it is, every single piece of hw is a potential backdoor. So far no evidence of TPM being backdoor-ed exists, it's just a secure key storage facility.

This is one of several taint flags and taint flags will be logged to the journal during boot, and you can at any time fetch the set taint flags with "busctl get-property org.freedesktop.systemd1 /org/freedesktop/systemd1 org.freedesktop.systemd1.Manager Tainted". This way organizations can collect those with scripts and let the IT department get a nice log of which users on their net that runs e.g out of date OS:es.
    As a Unix admin for 20 years now all I can think is "What is this desktop bullshit.. use uname" - idiot "feature" from idiot desktop ppl.

There is no such thing as a Linux desktop, get over it.. Mac is Unix on the desktop.
    Last edited by k1e0x; 11 October 2022, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    But even with that bug you should see the kernel logs during boot since systemd isn't launched until the kernel have booted in full?!
    The bug I'm talking about doesn't break that. But if Nocifer's interpretation is right, the issue is that it doesn't bring up a GUI, right? That bug breaks X. The console works about fine. I don't remember the conditions under which it triggered, I only know of some people using Arch hitting it. I think it was specific to initrds that included the gfx modules or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Ohhh. Ok. Now that you put it that way, there was a bug at spme point when systemd started handling drm modules (around a year ago?) that could bork X. Maybe that's the issue? If the distro is mainstream I would not expect that bug to manifest tho.
    I've never been a fan of bootsplashes precisely because they make it harder to understand what's wrong when something fails.
    But even with that bug you should see the kernel logs during boot since systemd isn't launched until the kernel have booted in full?!

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

Sorry but I fail to see the relevance to my comment here? Having been involved with computers since 1982 and Linux specifically since the days of Slackware, I can tell you that the religious like war between fractions within the computer industry as a whole and Linux as well (and it's by no means worse in the Linux community) not only started long before Canonical came to be, also most of the flame war posts (at least on this forum) seems to be from anti-Canonical people.

Also not sure what Canonical have to do with the issue of not seeing the boot logs on your system, nor what it have to do with systemd. I get the feeling that you actually want to discuss something else entirely but happened to "open up" in this unrelated thread, and that is completely fine as long as we are open about that and not trying to mask it as something else.
    Honestly I also don't really see what point you were trying to make, other than that for your own reasons you decided to check out. But if you actually wanted or want to discuss something, then what is exactly the problem at hand? Is it that now there is systemd and the (entirely unrelated) fact that by default most distros including Ubuntu use a quiet boot? Or is it that the community as a whole has moved on to other ways of doing things and other priorities for Linux development since the 1990s? Or are you simply being nostalgic (which is perfectly fine of course)?

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

No, I believe he's saying the exact opposite, that even with the 'quiet' flag, and even with Plymouth, he can't achieve a smooth transition from kernel console to GUI; and he suspects that the culprit is systemd, which is somehow hijacking his system's console and printing stuff during boot without his permission.
    Ohhh. Ok. Now that you put it that way, there was a bug at spme point when systemd started handling drm modules (around a year ago?) that could bork X. Maybe that's the issue? If the distro is mainstream I would not expect that bug to manifest tho.
    I've never been a fan of bootsplashes precisely because they make it harder to understand what's wrong when something fails.

Leave a comment:

• Nocifer
    replied
    Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
    I'm not sure I'm reading you well, but are you saying you have the "quiet" flag set and you expect text output during boot? The expected behavior for "quiet" is to not have that, and it has been that way since long before systemd.
    No, I believe he's saying the exact opposite, that even with the 'quiet' flag, and even with Plymouth, he can't achieve a smooth transition from kernel console to GUI; and he suspects that the culprit is systemd, which is somehow hijacking his system's console and printing stuff during boot without his permission.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by nist View Post

After 23 years as Linux user, I think it's time for me to retire from all discussions about Linux. Actually, there seems to be a kind of war of religions where everybody wants to defend its fraction of the 1% of the Linux market share. Before Canonical appeared, the Linux world was different. Immediately, a lot of young people started to make war to everybody in the name of the Ubuntu religion. In my country, this people is called ubuntonti, an union of two words with an unique meaning. Moreover, bugs are been injected into the linux programs code voluntarily (I know it is true).​ And spywares...
    Good bye and thanks for all the fish.
    Sorry but I fail to see the relevance to my comment here? Having been involved with computers since 1982 and Linux specifically since the days of Slackware, I can tell you that the religious like war between fractions within the computer industry as a whole and Linux as well (and it's by no means worse in the Linux community) not only started long before Canonical came to be, also most of the flame war posts (at least on this forum) seems to be from anti-Canonical people.

Also not sure what Canonical have to do with the issue of not seeing the boot logs on your system, nor what it have to do with systemd. I get the feeling that you actually want to discuss something else entirely but happened to "open up" in this unrelated thread, and that is completely fine as long as we are open about that and not trying to mask it as something else.

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by nist View Post

After 23 years as Linux user, I think it's time for me to retire from all discussions about Linux. Actually, there seems to be a kind of war of religions where everybody wants to defend its fraction of the 1% of the Linux market share. Before Canonical appeared, the Linux world was different. Immediately, a lot of young people started to make war to everybody in the name of the Ubuntu religion. In my country, this people is called ubuntonti, an union of two words with an unique meaning. Moreover, bugs are been injected into the linux programs code voluntarily (I know it is true).​ And spywares...
    Good bye and thanks for all the fish.
    no man, for once it is not ubuntu's fault!
    religion wars were there long before Ubuntu even existed.

debian vs slackware
    vim vs emacs
    kde vs gnome

all all the rest.

btw, I believe this war exists in almost every human sphere, being computer science, sport, building or even gardening.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X