Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.0 Released With Many Intel & AMD Driver Additions, IO_uring Keeps Advancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
    when i saw that picture im like hmm, whos the fat lady on the right? ohhhhh shhiiiii....
    I went straight to the comment section, saw your comment and then checked the photo. That's not fat, overweight yes.
    He looks very fine for his age especially for a guy whose work is sitting in front of a PC all day long for the past 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      He looks very fine for his age especially for a guy whose work is sitting in front of a PC all day long for the past 30 years.
      If those 30 years include cocaine use and hate mongering on mailing lists perhaps, but he is about a decade younger than Pat Gelsinger and Linus' hair is already turning from grey to white! At 50-something is this certainly not a good look. It could be genetics of course, but it is most commonly caused by a bad diet and stress.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        If those 30 years include cocaine use and hate mongering on mailing lists perhaps, but he is about a decade younger than Pat Gelsinger and Linus' hair is already turning from grey to white! At 50-something is this certainly not a good look. It could be genetics of course, but it is most commonly caused by a bad diet and stress.
        He doesn't use cocaine unless you have proof. He's 52, he looks average for his age believe it or not, he's not fat, his belly may be larger than usual for his age though.
        As to hair, my hair started becoming gray when I was a teenager, by now almost all my hair is grey and since I started balding I realized becoming bald is uglier and worse.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          As to hair, my hair started becoming gray when I was a teenager, by now almost all my hair is grey and since I started balding I realized becoming bald is uglier and worse.
          So you clearly win in the "who is uglier"-competition!

Comment

So you clearly win in the "who is uglier"-competition!
            I can't deny that.

Comment

image.php?id=2022&image=linux_60_linus_med.webp

Pat: hey "Lainus", how about changing your workstation to a real computer, a Intel based computer?
              Linus: you guys have a workstation lineup?
              Pat: eh, well...
              Last edited by M@GOid; 03 October 2022, 07:27 AM.

Comment

I believe Intel is merely trying to give Linux the recognition it deserves, which has been long overdue. The interchange is staged and it might be what feels awkward. So is Linus being called the "godfather of open source", which he is not. It is Richard Stallman. I found it rather ignorant to just skip over the GNU project and to cancel Stallman out. And why only now? Intel has been supporting Linux for a while now and quite successfully. The only remarkable innovation in recent times between Linux and Intel is perhaps io_uring, which revolutionised SSD technology and in particular Intel's Optane series. Anyhow, I guess this is just what happens when you stage something like this.

I will however not celebrate before Microsoft and Windows is dead.
                So I was also suprised by the sentence praising Linus as the godfather of opensource. Nobody is doubting Linus contribution to the Opensource Ecosystem. But the godfather is still Stallman with all his GNU stuff. Without GNU the Linux ecosystem couldn't get compiled

Comment

Fells like that 6.0 was rushed. It it waited just one release the 6.0 could celebrate the all the disruptive changes:

- Rust support
                  - MGLRU
                  - BTRFS async

and with this 6.0 would mark huge changes.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

So I was also suprised by the sentence praising Linus as the godfather of opensource. Nobody is doubting Linus contribution to the Opensource Ecosystem. But the godfather is still Stallman with all his GNU stuff. Without GNU the Linux ecosystem couldn't get compiled
                    Not only that, Linus seems to (have) hate(d) certain parts of Open Source and Stallman, I recall him hating the GPLv3 (and IIRC even v2) and not liking GNU guidelines (or something similar). He likes both open and proprietary software, which is no wonder since all of his wealth is thanks not to donations but to big corporations paying his high salary. I never liked people deifying anyone.
                    I'm not against him, just trying to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      informaiton

Michael, are you OK?
                      Almost sounds French, lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X