Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.0 Released With Many Intel & AMD Driver Additions, IO_uring Keeps Advancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
    when i saw that picture im like hmm, whos the fat lady on the right? ohhhhh shhiiiii....
    It's a standard belly nerd, a classic in computing. Tons of daily hours in front of a computer in a desk has certain aftermath.

Comment

It would be cool if at some point Linus did some podcasts and just reminisced about various Linux time periods or significant events, or social interactions, challenges and solutions -- I would watch the shit out of those, and they could provide important historical perspective too -- like the Lost Chapters of The Kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Any numbers?
        For example :
        Shadow of the tomb raider 3072*1728 full options on a ryzen 5950x / rx5700xt / mesa 22.2.0 / vulkan
        5.19.12 : 62 fps
        6.0.0 : 68 fps with less jerks

Firefox displays quicker, LibreOffice starts quicker, kernel compilation ... we'll see with 6.0.1
        Last edited by TNZfr; 03 October 2022, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
          Seriously? More responsive or does it just "feel" like it's faster?
          Both in fact ... just try.
          I wonder about Virtualbox, I tell you later.

Edit : Virtualbox's working fine with Linux 6.0
          Last edited by TNZfr; 03 October 2022, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
            It's a little-big major version. I sincerely think that the best way to give a number to a version is the "Year.Month" pattern (like Linux 22.10)
            For something like a distro release, naming it based on the release date makes sense, not least because that's usually what the support window is tied to.

For a kernel, it's not. Some kernels stick around for a long time and continue to receive patches and backports. So, it would be somewhat misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLief View Post
              So... Did rc7 become the official release? Or is kernel.org not updated yet?
              It is fairly trivial to look at the commit log, showing that (targeted) patches were applied after the rc7 tag. I did not see any patch that really mattered for the majority of my use cases, but, of course, your mileage will vary.

Comment

Congratulations! 😁 Amazing, Linux went so far during my lifetime. My first Linux experience was Debian Woody when I was in college, it barely worked. Now, latest Debian, is just complete. I have everything I need and things never worked better, including comfortable work and gaming on two 4K monitors with 144Hz. 😍

Comment

Originally posted by TNZfr View Post
                  Linux 6.0 : Compiled, installed and very happy for office @ home, I use a ryzen 5950x and a 5850u. The difference between the last 5.19 and the 6.0 is significative.
                  Originally posted by TNZfr View Post
                  For example :
                  Shadow of the tomb raider 3072*1728 full options on a ryzen 5950x / rx5700xt / mesa 22.2.0 / vulkan
                  5.19.12 : 62 fps
                  6.0.0 : 68 fps with less jerks

Firefox displays quicker, LibreOffice starts quicker, kernel compilation ... we'll see with 6.0.1
                  Nice! I'm also gonna test 6.0 today then.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    The whole interchange between them was extremely awkward. No idea why Linus agreed to it.
                    I believe Intel is merely trying to give Linux the recognition it deserves, which has been long overdue. The interchange is staged and it might be what feels awkward. So is Linus being called the "godfather of open source", which he is not. It is Richard Stallman. I found it rather ignorant to just skip over the GNU project and to cancel Stallman out. And why only now? Intel has been supporting Linux for a while now and quite successfully. The only remarkable innovation in recent times between Linux and Intel is perhaps io_uring, which revolutionised SSD technology and in particular Intel's Optane series. Anyhow, I guess this is just what happens when you stage something like this.

I will however not celebrate before Microsoft and Windows is dead.
                    Last edited by sdack; 03 October 2022, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
                      Seriously? More responsive or does it just "feel" like it's faster?
                      My 6.0 kernel ran very fast ... into a free(): double free detected in tcache 2 and did not compile. I have parked it for now.

Edit: It was caused by the latest gawk-5.2, going back to 5.1.1 solved it.
                      Last edited by sdack; 03 October 2022, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X