Numerous "MM" Improvements Land In Linux 5.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Developers especially in this space can be incredibly stubborn even to the point of hilarity.

The next step for Linux dev would be moving to a solution like gitlab so that we aren't using archaic mailing list technology, but that will probably take another 20 years.
    they might prefer something like sourcehut or Codeberg

Comment

Developers especially in this space can be incredibly stubborn even to the point of hilarity.

The next step for Linux dev would be moving to a solution like gitlab so that we aren't using archaic mailing list technology, but that will probably take another 20 years.
      Sadly true.

I often wonder how much time Linux still has as a project. Realistically it'll last another easy 10 years, but after that, finding a large amount of C developers willing to maintain something as complex as an OS is not going to be that easy. Retirement comes for the old, and the young may not be that many to fill in the shoes.

Perhaps then we'll see start seeing new kernels/OSes getting traction?

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post

they might prefer something like sourcehut or Codeberg
        Sure, I was more advocating for a self hosted gitlab (if the reason for your mention of Codeberg was data privacy). Its also the same reason why I didn't mention Github

Comment

Sure, I was more advocating for a self hosted gitlab (if the reason for your mention of Codeberg was data privacy). Its also the same reason why I didn't mention Github
          it is due to git email workflow which is used by sourcehut too, I don't like Gitlab due to its high memory usage and too much slowness. Kernel Dev sometimes doesn't even have display when working on drivers, so tty friendly hosting with help a lot, reason it is still using email workflow is it is easy to do via tty

Comment

it is due to git email workflow which is used by sourcehut too, I don't like Gitlab due to its high memory usage and too much slowness. Kernel Dev sometimes doesn't even have display when working on drivers, so tty friendly hosting with help a lot, reason it is still using email workflow is it is easy to do via tty
            Maybe you're a kernel dev and you talk from experience, in that case just correct me and I'll shut up, but not having a display, I think, assumes they're testing where they develop, which is quite unwise for kernel devs, as they may bork their filesystem and other possible issues. Regarding Gitlab, while that's true, there are other more user friendly flows that aren't as heavy weight, Gitea for example. Even simple git.kernel.org is enough to remove the git email workflow FWIW, but of course that only works for regulars that get their own account and what not.

Comment

Im sorry but as someone who actually professionally works in the "web server" space for over a decade this argument is complete bollocks. No one is suggesting someone run a gitlab instance on a phone (although with modern phones you probably could get away with that if you wanted).

In the server space, memory and CPU is cheap and Linux community/foundation definitely has the resources to self host a gitlab. It might take a while initially get up and running (since its different and new for them), but once setup they would get used to it. Modern tools like Docker Container Runtime and podman make this even easier. They also have the resources to hire someone to maintain it if needed, which definitely would pay back its cost many fold in improved productivity.

Comment

Working...
              X