Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numerous "MM" Improvements Land In Linux 5.19

Phoronix: Numerous "MM" Improvements Land In Linux 5.19

Andrew Morton with his recent shift to a Git-based workflow rather than maintaining long patch series has sent in all of the memory management "mm" changes for the Linux 5.19 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow. Andrew likely was the last of the Mohicans.
    The diff-n-patch tribe is now dead I guess.

Comment

Michael

Typo "Zsawp" should probably be "Zswap".

Comment

Mm improvements?

Originally posted by LuukD View Post
        Should we consider that a loss?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
          Mm improvements?

Should we consider that a loss?
          No. But i find it somewhat surprising that it took 17 years since Linus introduced Git for the last kernel developer to finally switch.

Comment

Ahhh!

Is there anyone here who can provide an interface patch that will allow me to apply this to my poor old brain?

Goodness knows it needs it ...

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              Ahhh!

Is there anyone here who can provide an interface patch that will allow me to apply this to my poor old brain?

Goodness knows it needs it ...
              Mine desperately needs a bug fix release. It took me a while to get the joke.

Comment

There are still diff and patch submissions (to LKML), but AM was, I think, the last of the pull holdouts among the core subsystem devs. As someone said, "Old dogs, it seems, can eventually learn new tricks after all". I would be interested to understand why AM finally (probably reluctantly, based on past statements) moved to git.

FD: I was an early proponent of git, as I appreciate it's distributed graph theory model, although like a lot of people, I often fall back to using just a small subset of the (to me) well understood commands.

Comment

No. But i find it somewhat surprising that it took 17 years since Linus introduced Git for the last kernel developer to finally switch.
                  Developers especially in this space can be incredibly stubborn even to the point of hilarity.

The next step for Linux dev would be moving to a solution like gitlab so that we aren't using archaic mailing list technology, but that will probably take another 20 years.

Comment

i don't git itπŸ˜€πŸ‘

Comment

Working...
                    X