Linux 5.18 Moves Ahead With Deprecating ReiserFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
    Hans will be a free man in 2023, so that's not a big deal. I am ready to invest in Namesys with him at the helm.
    Hans should not see the light of day until at least 2030. Get your lips off his ass.

Comment

Originally posted by bitterseeds View Post

Are you kidding me? In today's culture? If you think some famous dude pulling his junk out will get him canceled ... what do you think having been in prison and convicted of killing his wife will get him ... nothing, that's what. If Stallman can cause the amount of uproar that he has and he's just kind of a d*** ... what reaction do you think Reiser will elicit?
      What fantasy world do you live in? Namesys is a commercial company and Hans still has the funds and will raise more. I personally will be glad to donate to the cause. Grow up and stop reading Twitter, it's bad for your sense of reality.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Hans should not see the light of day until at least 2030. Get your lips off his ass.
        If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Comment

What fantasy world do you live in? Namesys is a commercial company and Hans still has the funds and will raise more. I personally will be glad to donate to the cause. Grow up and stop reading Twitter, it's bad for your sense of reality.
          1. Not talking about Namesys, don't care about it.
          2. Reiser murdered HIS WIFE. So defending him ... it's you who live in a fantasy world. No one who cares about their career will chance a lot of involvement with him especially a corporation. Corps are money talks and BS walks.

I haven't read Twitter since 2009 so your ass*sumption is wrong. I have worked in the corp. world for 30 years so my fantasy land has taught me that folks who murder their wives don't get millions or whatever in funding.

Please get off your knees. I mean, unless you'd like to be issued a bar of soap and put in Reiser's cell block.

Don't care if you respond, you defend a murderer.

Comment

It's a shame that ReiserFS is getting the axe. One of its neat features was tail-packing, which optimizes file system usage when many smaller than block size files are written:

Tail Packing can sometimes be referred to as Tail Merging or Block Suballocation.

In the article on Extents, there were details about how space is wasted because of whole blocks not filled with data. For example, if each block is 512 bytes and a small file is placed on the hard disk that is 100 bytes, then 412 bytes are wasted. It should be remembered the block is the smallest addressable unit on a hard disk. A block is comprised of sectors, but the sectors are not individually addressable.

NOTE: Block sizes should always be a multiple of 512 bytes. Sectors are 512 bytes and each block is a specific number of sectors.

To correct the problem of wasted space, some file systems support tail packing. Tail packing is an ability to take the “tail” of a file that does not fill a whole block and combine them so they do fill or nearly fill a whole block.
            I know file system restraints are a moot point these days with multi-TB drives so inexpensive, but it is a unique feature to lose to history.

Comment

This entire forum thread should be locked before it becomes just another Moronix clickbait trap.

Comment

Originally posted by JoelOl75 View Post
                I know file system restraints are a moot point these days with multi-TB drives so inexpensive, but it is a unique feature to lose to history.
                its not lost completly to history. Its recorded in git and also newer filesystems have this feature, i could only find BTRFS and UFS2.

Comment

Why don't you understand that when Hans is out, ReiserFS will get corporate backing and maintenance, both the original and 4/5?
                  No, Reiser abandoned ReiserFS in favor for Reiser4. SuSE stepped in an supported ReiserFS. That's the reason why Reiser4 never was accepted upstream, because of the worries this will happen again when Reiser is loosing interesset again.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
                    I still don't understand why they didn't just fork the code and call the newer versions something else. There isn't any reason to keep Hans Reiser's name attached to it.
                    Chris Mason did. He called it BTRFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Chris Mason did. He called it BTRFS.
                      That's complete nonsense! He was the maintainer of ReiserFS at SuSE and he was inspired by some of the ideas of ReiserFS when developing Btrfs. But that's all those two filesystems have in common.

Comment

Working...
                      X