Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.18 Moves Ahead With Deprecating ReiserFS

Phoronix: Linux 5.18 Moves Ahead With Deprecating ReiserFS

Following the recent developer discussions around deprecating and removing the ReiserFS file-system from the mainline kernel, the in-development Linux 5.18 kernel is going ahead and deprecating it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still don't understand why they didn't just fork the code and call the newer versions something else. There isn't any reason to keep Hans Reiser's name attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
      I still don't understand why they didn't just fork the code and call the newer versions something else. There isn't any reason to keep Hans Reiser's name attached to it.
      Forking it wouldn't have changed anything technically, the only reason it is deprecated is because it is unmaintained.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Forking it wouldn't have changed anything technically, the only reason it is deprecated is because it is unmaintained.
        My point was that if it was called something else entirely, and newer versions are significantly better (presumably), then they might have had better luck finding developers willing to work on it and industry backers willing to support it.

In short, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

My point was that if it was called something else entirely, and newer versions are significantly better (presumably)
          Your point doesn't make any sense. Newer versions weren't significantly better because it was unmaintained, so rest of the assumptions aren't relevant. Changing the name also breaks userspace compatibility and Linux kernel has a clear policy about not doing that. So it isn't happening.

Comment

Hans will be a free man in 2023, so that's not a big deal. I am ready to invest in Namesys with him at the helm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
              Hans will be a free man in 2023, so that's not a big deal. I am ready to invest in Namesys with him at the helm.
              Why don't you understand that the reason for this deprecation has nothing to do with its creator?

Comment

Well, perhaps when he's out, it will be maintained again. But I can understand the kernel team not wanting to rely on that happening, or having to maintain it meanwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Why don't you understand that the reason for this deprecation has nothing to do with its creator?

Why don't you understand that when Hans is out, ReiserFS will get corporate backing and maintenance, both the original and 4/5?

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post

Why don't you understand that when Hans is out, ReiserFS will get corporate backing and maintenance, both the original and 4/5?
                    Are you kidding me? In today's culture? If you think some famous dude pulling his junk out will get him canceled ... what do you think having been in prison and convicted of killing his wife will get him ... nothing, that's what. If Stallman can cause the amount of uproar that he has and he's just kind of a d*** ... what reaction do you think Reiser will elicit?

Comment

Working...
                    X