GNU Linux-Libre 5.17 Released For Free Software Purists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
    "I hate that Linux-libre forces me to admit my hardware isn't ideal when going by the definition kindly laid out and merely suggested by the FSF, therefore I wish for everybody else to disregard what the FSF says, to ignore the RYF certification, and to mock Linux-libre on every occasion."

Developer12 That's just like, their opinion, man.
    Do you have yours? Or do I have to accept your argument on the basis of an authority bias involving a third party that lectures people about software freedom... on Twitter?

What the FSF thinks is crystal clear: either software passes through your hands, and it's meant for reprogrammable components, and thus needs to be free software, or it doesn't pass through your hands, and if it's hidden from view, then it's just part of the hardware, and therefore not a concern of the Free Software Foundation.
    Those people waste their time writing nonsense because, fundamentally, they don't understand what the role of the FSF is. Purity over subjective "pragmatism"? Of course. Why be surprised?

The FSF has no business with me gaming like crazy on Linux thanks to an AMD CPU+GPU machine full of blobs here and there. Why should I have business with them sticking to their lines in the sand?
    I praise Linux-libre because it's legitimate in general, and also useful on some machines and for their users. Useful is relative, legitimate is absolute.

If you want nuance, if you want tiers of certification in terms of how well a given hardware can run mainline Linux, then... that's also perfectly legitimate, just ask the Linux Foundation instead.
    What a rambling mess.

Comment

Originally posted by SigHunter View Post
      so the goal is maybe to have a system you can trust more, because it technically isn't able to load any untrusted blobs

somebody correct me if I'm wrong here
      Didn't they remove some code that was not known or considered proprietary some binary array that get loaded in the kernel that they then replaced in the upstream kernel because of the linux-libre project made them aware of it?

So it seems to be useful for that, also it's nice to have a testing software if you bought good hardware or which part is from a evil company that should be boycotted .

Also just because it's currently not viable to to much people, many people probably spoke similar (and still do that) about the normal linux kernel + os.

Take Android everybody said it's not good or possible to replace this horrible system with real linux systems, yet today we have real GNU/Linux Phones, that don't come with antifeatures like Android (intentionally defekt buildin SIP support (probably a gift to carriers), no buildin caldav / carddav support, so that people use the google cloud for syncing so that google can spy on all data and sell it).

Just because a short term battle is not won doesn't mean that the war is lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

What a rambling mess.
        At this point I'm just curious to know if you're from the USA. Indulge me, please.

Comment

Working...
        X