Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-Libre 5.17 Released For Free Software Purists

Phoronix: GNU Linux-Libre 5.17 Released For Free Software Purists

GNU Linux-Libre 5.17 is out as the downstream flavor of Linux 5.17 that strips out code/support depending upon closed-source microcode or other non-free fragments as well as removing the ability to load proprietary kernel modules...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wasn’t it the idea of “free” software to let users do whatever they please with their computing device? Removing the ability to load kernel blobs appears to be counter to that.

Comment

Does that mean distros which use this kernel can't have working GPU drivers and acceleration at all, since even with open source drivers you still need closed source firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by rhadlee View Post
        Wasn’t it the idea of “free” software to let users do whatever they please with their computing device? Removing the ability to load kernel blobs appears to be counter to that.
        You are free to install whatever you want. As such if I would like to install Linux-libre because I want no additional/updatable blobs on my system, why do you think this should be restricted? Freedom of choice. Use the kernel you like ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

You are free to install whatever you want. As such if I would like to install Linux-libre because I want no additional/updatable blobs on my system, why do you think this should be restricted? Freedom of choice. Use the kernel you like ;-)
          Sure, just dont remove all meaning of the word free. Just call it "stupid-attentionwhore-freeloaders-edition" or similar.

Comment

Wasn’t it the idea of “free” software to let users do whatever they please with their computing device?
            Yes, and that's exactly why they are allowed to do that without violating any rules.

Removing the ability to load kernel blobs appears to be counter to that.
            No one is removing the ability from you to use another kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

Sure, just dont remove all meaning of the word free. Just call it "stupid-attentionwhore-freeloaders-edition" or similar.
              You are free to call it whatever you like. But leave others the freedom to call it whatever they like and to do what they like.
              Last edited by R41N3R; 22 March 2022, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

+1

The real solution to the firmware blobs situation is to start making free and open source hardware, not break compatibility because you don't like having proprietary firmware for proprietary hardware.

If you remove the firmware from the equation, the device is still a black box that can screw you over in any way imaginable.

Comment

I’m always confused why people attack this project so much. It’s Linux without closed source BLOBS. Blobs that should also have source code and documentation.

If you buy the right hardware you don’t need any of closed source BLOBs anyway….

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                    I’m always confused why people attack this project so much. It’s Linux without closed source BLOBS. Blobs that should also have source code and documentation.

If you buy the right hardware you don’t need any of closed source BLOBs anyway….
                    Because here the majority are M$ fan boys despite is a Linux webiste...

Comment

Working...
                    X