Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IO_uring Gets New Features & Speed-Ups With Linux 5.18

Phoronix: IO_uring Gets New Features & Speed-Ups With Linux 5.18

The Linux 5.17 kernel will be released tomorrow and in turn that will kickoff the start of the Linux 5.18 merge window. Linux block subsystem maintainer Jens Axboe has already begun submitting his feature pull requests for this next kernel, including the IO_uring updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems no end to how much improvements we can get in io_uring.

I'd love to see more applications using it for network sockets as well as disk io. For example servers like Tor relays, Web servers and others with lots of connections would benefit well from this.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
      For example servers like Tor relays (...) would benefit well from this.
      ​​​
      Tor probably should wait for some time until all bugs are found due to security reasons.

Comment

Michael

Articles could be optimized a further 2-10% by removing all spaces.

Typo "improvementswith".

Comment

I'd love to see more applications using it for network sockets as well as disk io. For example servers like Tor relays, Web servers and others with lots of connections would benefit well from this.
          ​​​
          Just think of how much faster this will make servers be able to use AI, algorithms and serve ads to us. Joy.

Comment

A slight apprehension I have is that specific io_uring code paths and usage models are getting optimized potentially at the expense of others.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post

Just think of how much faster this will make servers be able to use AI, algorithms and serve ads to us. Joy.
              Well we need direct access from GPUs to Data on HDDs or SSDs.

Comment

Originally posted by SvenK View Post
                Well we need direct access from GPUs to Data on HDDs or SSDs.
                Nvidia has some proprietary way of doing that, called GPUDirect. I don't know how much potential there is for a general solution.

And it's not really HDDs that are a use-case. The main one is fast NVMe SSDs (or RAIDs of them).

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  A slight apprehension I have is that specific io_uring code paths and usage models are getting optimized potentially at the expense of others.
                  This is my concern as well. Hopefully there are regression tests for current systems, but I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
                    Hopefully there are regression tests for current systems
                    It's called Phoronix!

Comment

Working...
                    X