systemd 250 Released With A Huge Number Of New Features, Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd 250 Released With A Huge Number Of New Features, Improvements

Phoronix: systemd 250 Released With A Huge Number Of New Features, Improvements

Systemd 250 is the latest major open-source software project release for those trying to get out their releases before year's end... Simply put, systemd 250 is a very big feature release...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...px=systemd-250

I wish systemd finished and polished the nspawn/machinectl jails mechanism. For many use cases lxd is overkill and can't be appropriated easily set up on some distros

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      I wish systemd finished and polished the nspawn/machinectl jails mechanism. For many use cases lxd is overkill and can't be appropriated easily set up on some distros
      What is missing? I use systemd-nspawn for all my services.
      I just would like to see better resource monitoring (preferred through cockpit) but well cgtop is ok.

Comment

What is one man's bloat, is another's necessity I suppose. Don't understand why systemd needs bcd support, but whatever I guess.

Comment

1. will those encryption/secret improvements mean machines can auto-unlock their encrypted drives at boot without storing keys on /boot?
          2. BCD improvements maybe grub will finally find my windows 10 install?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            What is one man's bloat, is another's necessity I suppose. Don't understand why systemd needs bcd support, but whatever I guess.
            It's pretty cool actually. I for one use systemd's new app install utility instead of apt-get and suchlike to get a cross-platform app management experience.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

It's pretty cool actually. I for one use systemd's new app install utility instead of apt-get and suchlike to get a cross-platform app management experience.
              any documentation for this? sounds interesting at least

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
              1. will those encryption/secret improvements mean machines can auto-unlock their encrypted drives at boot without storing keys on /boot?
              2. BCD improvements maybe grub will finally find my windows 10 install?
              Grub probably cannot find your install because it is a legacy install and grub is UEFI or vice versa. that is the usual culprit

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
                This was already possible as of version 248. Also why would you store the keys on the disk?

Comment

This includes a fix for this bug that has meant autostart scripts are broken in the KDE spin of Fedora 34 and 35 - looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

What is missing? I use systemd-nspawn for all my services.
                    I just would like to see better resource monitoring (preferred through cockpit) but well cgtop is ok.
                    Maybe it has improved since last time I looked at it, but at least at the time I noticed several problems:
                    • you had to be root to start a container
                    • it didn't play well with SELinux at all and there was essentially no documentation on the topic
                    • networking setup (bridged, NAT, internal only etc) was not obvious to set up and was error prone
                    • there was no repository of ready-to-run distros to build upon

Comment

Working...
                    X