Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

systemd 250 Released With A Huge Number Of New Features, Improvements

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • systemd 250 Released With A Huge Number Of New Features, Improvements

    Phoronix: systemd 250 Released With A Huge Number Of New Features, Improvements

    Systemd 250 is the latest major open-source software project release for those trying to get out their releases before year's end... Simply put, systemd 250 is a very big feature release...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...px=systemd-250

  • #2
    I wish systemd finished and polished the nspawn/machinectl jails mechanism. For many use cases lxd is overkill and can't be appropriated easily set up on some distros

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jacob View Post
      I wish systemd finished and polished the nspawn/machinectl jails mechanism. For many use cases lxd is overkill and can't be appropriated easily set up on some distros
      What is missing? I use systemd-nspawn for all my services.
      I just would like to see better resource monitoring (preferred through cockpit) but well cgtop is ok.

      Comment


      • #4
        What is one man's bloat, is another's necessity I suppose. Don't understand why systemd needs bcd support, but whatever I guess.

        Comment


        • #5
          1. will those encryption/secret improvements mean machines can auto-unlock their encrypted drives at boot without storing keys on /boot?
          2. BCD improvements maybe grub will finally find my windows 10 install?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            What is one man's bloat, is another's necessity I suppose. Don't understand why systemd needs bcd support, but whatever I guess.
            It's pretty cool actually. I for one use systemd's new app install utility instead of apt-get and suchlike to get a cross-platform app management experience.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cl333r View Post

              It's pretty cool actually. I for one use systemd's new app install utility instead of apt-get and suchlike to get a cross-platform app management experience.
              any documentation for this? sounds interesting at least

              Originally posted by gfunk View Post
              1. will those encryption/secret improvements mean machines can auto-unlock their encrypted drives at boot without storing keys on /boot?
              2. BCD improvements maybe grub will finally find my windows 10 install?
              Grub probably cannot find your install because it is a legacy install and grub is UEFI or vice versa. that is the usual culprit

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gfunk View Post
                1. will those encryption/secret improvements mean machines can auto-unlock their encrypted drives at boot without storing keys on /boot?
                This was already possible as of version 248. Also why would you store the keys on the disk?

                Comment


                • #9
                  This includes a fix for this bug that has meant autostart scripts are broken in the KDE spin of Fedora 34 and 35 - looking forward to it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by flower View Post

                    What is missing? I use systemd-nspawn for all my services.
                    I just would like to see better resource monitoring (preferred through cockpit) but well cgtop is ok.
                    Maybe it has improved since last time I looked at it, but at least at the time I noticed several problems:
                    • you had to be root to start a container
                    • it didn't play well with SELinux at all and there was essentially no documentation on the topic
                    • networking setup (bridged, NAT, internal only etc) was not obvious to set up and was error prone
                    • there was no repository of ready-to-run distros to build upon

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X