IO_uring Network Zero-Copy Transmit Continues Looking Great For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
    While i do quite like io_uring and the massive improvements it brings, these numbers do need a bit more context before i fully get the benefit.

Assume 2 pc's. For context, an iperf test between the 2 pc's is going to get ~980mbit/sec. About the theoretical maximum.
    Sometimes, the communication is between VMs that might be on the same physical host. Or even using sockets to communicate between containers. In these cases, you're not limited by the speed of your NIC. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Sometimes, the communication is between VMs that might be on the same physical host. Or even using sockets to communicate between containers. In these cases, you're not limited by the speed of your NIC. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this.
      I think the zero copy is only for the non-local socket.

It will be great if there is zero-copy support for unix socket and localhost sockets, or even pipes.

It might be possible if they blocks all write until it is read by using a new flag to enable this behaviour, though it is likely that it must done at least one copy to move the data between two processes, since memory mapping is way more expensive.

Comment

Working...
      X