X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post

I think Linux Foundation should be doing this type of outreach and hand-holding. there is a lot of tooling that they could invest in too to make things easier. The proposed kernel patch tracker has no way that I can see of showing revisions or current state and in this case the workflow for inclusion to the kernel was not obvious.
    They do sponsor a lot of the conferences, documentation works, tooling etc. Linux kernel developers however are very much sticking to the mail based workflow and tracking patches isn't going to be easy in that because metadata isn't standardized and attempts to introduce changes to that isn't always welcomed. As an example:

There is increasingly more tools used to make the process better however.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

That's kind of his role. Ultimately he is the only making the call on what to merge.
    I think Linux Foundation should be doing this type of outreach and hand-holding. there is a lot of tooling that they could invest in too to make things easier. The proposed kernel patch tracker has no way that I can see of showing revisions or current state and in this case the workflow for inclusion to the kernel was not obvious.

As a non developer, some times commenter, it was also a surprise to learn that whatever is in linux-next isnt automatically pulled in at the next merge window.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    For those using this already, are you using a special ntfs-utils or other with it? with it?

Leave a comment:

• mroche
    replied
    This is pretty exciting stuff. I have a few drives I have to share with Windows (internal and external) that this should produce good improvements for.

Cheers,
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Now if we could get some Apple APFS support too...

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    Great, finally.

Hope someone does backports to the older stable kernels that I can steal.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Ah yes, finally usable kernel driver for NTFS. ntfs-3g is fine and worked good for me but FUSE has some disadvantages. Looking forward to some benchmarks comparing this new NTFS driver to ntfs-3g and Windows.
    Last edited by dragon321; 03 September 2021, 02:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by Mangix View Post
    Pretty sad Torvalds needed to tell the maintainers what to do.
    That's kind of his role. Ultimately he is the only making the call on what to merge.

Leave a comment:

• Mangix
    replied
    Pretty sad Torvalds needed to tell the maintainers what to do.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by aksdb View Post

You can also use DKMS. Then you don't need a custom kernel. That's how I've been using it for a few months now.
    That's how I get ZFS

I meant "custom kernel" in the general sense that we won't have to do anything special on our systems for it to just be there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X