X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Is there more info about the structure there for those less familiar? Not sure why the main branch continues to retain dev versions of prior kernels around? Looking at some like 5.10 and 5.14, I see folders with different versions or suffixes like `-sep`. Is he making updates via new folders instead of updating the original folder for a patch?

The BMQ link needs to be updated to reference PRJC (which it will redirect to now as BMQ has been folded into Alfred's Project C since mid 2020?).

I'm a little confused why 5.14 has BFQ patches, I thought this was already upstreamed? Looking at the two BFQ links from the README, one hasn't been updated since 2016, the other says it's development version of BFQ but it was last updated in Jan 2021 on a branch for 5.6 kernel..?
    To try to help a bit, -sep stands for separate or separated. For example, NTFS has 35 patches that need to be applied and those are all laid out one by one in the -sep folder whereas they're all combined in the non -sep folder. I reckon they're both there for a mix of ease of use and debugging.

Some of the rest of it, however, a person needs to be a bit more in the know and up-to-date in regards to the kernel, actively worked on patches, etc.

Leave a comment:

• insilications
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Is there more info about the structure there for those less familiar? Not sure why the main branch continues to retain dev versions of prior kernels around? Looking at some like 5.10 and 5.14, I see folders with different versions or suffixes like `-sep`. Is he making updates via new folders instead of updating the original folder for a patch?

The BMQ link needs to be updated to reference PRJC (which it will redirect to now as BMQ has been folded into Alfred's Project C since mid 2020?).

I'm a little confused why 5.14 has BFQ patches, I thought this was already upstreamed? Looking at the two BFQ links from the README, one hasn't been updated since 2016, the other says it's development version of BFQ but it was last updated in Jan 2021 on a branch for 5.6 kernel..?
    Yes please. I'm trying to understand the structure there. That seems like a nice repo

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Originally posted by avem View Post
    NTFS-3G used to corrupt NTFS partitions when being used for downloading torrents, has anyone tried the kernel NTFS driver for the same purpose?

And while this is great news, we still need chkdsk
    Yeah but the issues have been mostly fixed in the latest ntfs3 update. I've been having filesystem corruption for a while before that but it wasn't causing me to loose files, just to loose journal data which win10 fixes and restores the file locations.

Using Xanmod 5.14-1 atm, seems fine.

Leave a comment:

• Mangix
    replied
    Where's the out of tree module for older kernels at?

Leave a comment:

• piorunz
    replied
    Windows filesystems? Who cares anyway.

Leave a comment:

• rmfx
    replied
    Why it's not Microsoft that takes care of it?
    They could put a few specialized engineers on it to convert their existing fs for linux.

We love Linux, but we don't care.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    There is still a question I need answers to. With this finally have a Linux based chkdsk/fsck tool. Not the ntfsfix of the past that basically says reboot into window to repair the drive.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
    I am using a slightly older version of the patchset for a while now (grabbed from this little gold mine) and I am happy with it. No issues, good job and many thanks to all the devs who contributed to the driver.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post
    For those using this already, are you using a special ntfs-utils or other with it? with it?
    I like to mount it, mount it
    I like to mount it, mount it

Mount It

Seriously though, nothing extra required. Just a simple:

sudo mount -t ntfs3 /dev/sdd2 /mnt

That's literally the command I use to mount my Windows installation for quick access.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by Mangix View Post
    Pretty sad Torvalds needed to tell the maintainers what to do.
    In this case the issue was that there is no subsystem maintainer group that approves/adds new filesystems (it happens close to never), so while Paragon got lots of feedback from other kernel devs, and the code was apparently in good enough shape, there was no one that felt they had the authority to say "engage!" (send the PR). The result is that for areas for which there is no maintainer, that ends up falling to Linus as the last resort. There are very few areas of the kernel that someone else (or some group) is not the designated coordinator, so such events do not happen often, but not happening often does not mean not happening ever.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X