Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kokoko3k
    replied
    Backed up all of my photos on DVD 3 months ago.
    Also from time to time i watch old Movies from DVDR, they still work flawlassly after 15 years.

Leave a comment:

• J.King
    replied
    Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
    Going on a tangent but maybe some one here can help a brother out. Queens Ryche had a disk called Operation Mindcrime. It was one continuous track with no spaces between the songs, one song would morph into another. But it had the songs in a menu so you could jump to them. On a CD player if you played the entire disk it would work perfectly. If you play it on a DVD player it cuts a couple of seconds off the begging and end of each song.
    Audio CDs are notoriously difficult to read reliably. You'll need a specialized tool; as far as I know cdparanoia is still the best tool for the job. It's on the no-frills side, but I use it to read audio from opera CDs and have never had difficulty. It could be, though, that your DVD drive is just particularly misbehaved. Some drives do a really poor job. If cdparanoia doesn't work, you may need to try a different brand of drive.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
    also, if you want you could use half blu-ray area and store two copies of the file or use half then par2 parity?
    That's actually a pretty interesting idea: not sure why I haven't heard of that before.

Leave a comment:

• user556
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

It's surprising how bad some old flash drives are. I found one old samsung evo 840 drive. Even after wiping the old stuff, sustained write speed is like 30-40 MB/s (sata3). Old usb2 keys might have a write speed of 0,5 - 2 MB/s. I wonder if they've gotten slower over time.
    The 840 EVO was an exception. It has some flaw in the TLC chips apparently. There was a firmware update to improve the situation but it couldn't be totally rectified without a recall. Which never happened.

I think the first 850 EVOs were rebadge 840s with newer Flash chips.
    Last edited by user556; 27 August 2021, 09:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• user556
    replied
    Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

Flash retention is normally given as ~10 years, YMMV. Power cycling it every few years should help though.
    Power cycling won't help at all. It isn't DRAM, it has to be written to to be refreshed. And that requires an erase cycle first.

Leave a comment:

• doomie
    replied
    ... Can any one think of a way that I can do it with a conmpiuter DVD drive and the wide world of Linux tools? I have tried ripping it to an ISO but it still ends up doing the same thing. No one sells the entire disk as one continuous track.
    I think Exact Audio Copy (which works under wine) and Whipper (native linux) may have functions that can help you. Else splicing yourself via Ardour or Audacity as suggested :\ maybe your only option... I'd expect VLC to have functionality but https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/549 says anything close won't be mainlined for a while yet.

Leave a comment:

• onlyLinuxLuvUBack
    replied
    I have several hundred Blu-rays I have been waiting for a descent AV1 encoder to start ripping. If I knew that kind of coding I would take a look at it atleast.

Going on a tangent but maybe some one here can help a brother out. Queens Ryche had a disk called Operation Mindcrime. It was one continuous track with no spaces between the songs, one song would morph into another. But it had the songs in a menu so you could jump to them. On a CD player if you played the entire disk it would work perfectly. If you play it on a DVD player it cuts a couple of seconds off the begging and end of each song. That destroys the entire experience of the disk. Over years of research I have learned that CD drives and DVD drives are designed to work differently in the way they handle gaps between songs

I don't want to have to go buy a CD player from a pawn shop just to rip one disk. Can any one think of a way that I can do it with a conmpiuter DVD drive and the wide world of Linux tools? I have tried ripping it to an ISO but it still ends up doing the same thing. No one sells the entire disk as one continuous track.
    take headphone jack of cdplayer, cable to mic in on computer, use audacity record 1 long .wav file.
    chop into pieces.

ffmpeg/meencode pieces into whatever you want(ogg/mp3) ?

Leave a comment:

• onlyLinuxLuvUBack
    replied
    Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
    As dvdisaster is EOL, does anyone know of a replacement?
    where do you see EOL ? https://dvdisaster.jcea.es/

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    I have several hundred Blu-rays I have been waiting for a descent AV1 encoder to start ripping. If I knew that kind of coding I would take a look at it atleast.

Going on a tangent but maybe some one here can help a brother out. Queens Ryche had a disk called Operation Mindcrime. It was one continuous track with no spaces between the songs, one song would morph into another. But it had the songs in a menu so you could jump to them. On a CD player if you played the entire disk it would work perfectly. If you play it on a DVD player it cuts a couple of seconds off the begging and end of each song. That destroys the entire experience of the disk. Over years of research I have learned that CD drives and DVD drives are designed to work differently in the way they handle gaps between songs

I don't want to have to go buy a CD player from a pawn shop just to rip one disk. Can any one think of a way that I can do it with a conmpiuter DVD drive and the wide world of Linux tools? I have tried ripping it to an ISO but it still ends up doing the same thing. No one sells the entire disk as one continuous track.

Leave a comment:

• marlock
    replied
    ps: yes, CD-ROM and DVD-ROM is definitely still in use... not only for reading, but for formal delivery of digital files... which entails burning new media... which afaik has gotten a bit more reliable but still needs improvements, not just base maintenance against lower-level kernel changes

eg:
    in my country several government bureaus, regulatory agencies and whatnot have seen some level of digital-era modernization (eg: requesting shapefiles during environmental licencing procedures) but many are still attached to physical media as their only means to receive computer files officially (with some info already submitted via specific-purpose online forms, but most still lack generic frameworks for online delivery)

I guess the CD-ROM is a more complete analogy to receiving a binder full of paper sheets and stamping a number on it then emmitting a delivery ticket with matching number, than receiving an online ticket number for an upload to a database... but the habit is getting very old very fast

Leave a comment:

Working...
X