Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux On The Apple M1 Can Now Boot To The GNOME Desktop But Lacking Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alyssa described it as "Not great, but usable", and I thought "Yeah, that's pretty much GNOME in a nutshell".

Others were less kind, and suggested that "but usable" was a step up from GNOME on a PC, but I'm sure they're all just "incapable of learning anything new" or whatever the current excuse is. :P

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
      Alyssa described it as "Not great, but usable", and I thought "Yeah, that's pretty much GNOME in a nutshell".

Others were less kind, and suggested that "but usable" was a step up from GNOME on a PC, but I'm sure they're all just "incapable of learning anything new" or whatever the current excuse is. :P
      This pointless GNOME bashing is really getting old...

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
        This pointless GNOME bashing is really getting old...
        Oh please. That was clearly tongue in cheek, and you're just upset because the joke happened to be at your tribe's expense.
        I admit it was a weak joke - too obvious, and too easy - but they can't all be winners.

This blind fanboyism was already really getting old years ago, but I don't see any signs of that slowing down.

Last edited by arQon; 27 August 2021, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Because Plasma Wayland on a laptop with Nvidia graphics and the Nouveau driver produces a broken GUI with rainbow colours. If not for software rendering I would be typing this on Windows right now.Fuck that "broken/shit drivers are a thing of the past" bullshit.

Way to be shortsighted.
          Well that's probably the problem... Plasma w/ Wayland... and the nouveau driver.. yeah probably going to run like crap. I've ran Gnome-shell on Xorg w/ llvmpipe on a Pentium 3 with a Matrix G400 and it was a lot more than 1fps... it ran quite well actually (considering). Sure, wasn't as snappy as my RTX 3080... Running a Gnome VM also uses llvmpipe, and it seems to work at suitable speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by maffblaster View Post

CUPS was about the only thing I remember Apple 'helping' develop that was open source... and it was only because they were using it as part of their stack, so they were not altruistic.
            yeah, they 'bought' CUPS... then it stagnated for years, and so they effectively killed CUPS and now there is OpenPrinting instead (well it's been a project since Apple bought CUPS, but yeah they didn't do it to help others, it's just their own printing was not great and they needed something better. Kind of the same reason they took KHTML / Webkit and used it for Safari.

What I find entertaining is they were stuck for years on an old version of bash because they hate GPL3 (which is also why they ditched Samba) and finally in one of the more recent releases of macOS they switched to ZSH.

Comment

Working...
            X