Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung Revs Its In-Kernel SMB3 Server Focused On Fast Performance, New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh faster performance?
    Great, then let's put a web server, a print server, a DNS server, a FTP server in the kernel too! Maybe a BitTorrent client too!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Oh faster performance?
      Great, then let's put a web server, a print server, a DNS server, a FTP server in the kernel too! Maybe a BitTorrent client too!
      Hell, why not? It worked for systemd!

Comment

Oh faster performance?
        And let's disable all virtual memory so everything runs in kernel space!
        Even the programs that crash often and-

*flickering LED*

███████████████████████████

Software Failure. Press left mouse button to continue.
        Guru Meditation #00000000.00000000

Never mind.... Guess that's why virtual memory exists. Stop liking
        Last edited by tildearrow; 05 August 2021, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
          Forget SMB, it's 2021 and everything is in the cloud. Can someone get a high performance DAVfs implementation going. The current FUSE implementation is slow as molasses.
          You shouldn't prevent this driver from existing. There still are a ton of SMB users in the world.

Comment

Forget SMB, it's 2021 and everything is in the cloud. Can someone get a high performance DAVfs implementation going. The current FUSE implementation is slow as molasses.
            Webdav sucks pretty badly. I have absolutely no idea why anyone would even consider webdav over any other file sharing protocol in 2021. Please explain.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So what? Until the cloud isn't at the minimally hampered by bandwidth limitations, decrepit infrastructure or lack of infrastructure, and unfair and noncompetitive pricing in regards to the internet and the services provided on the cloud, the cloud really doesn't matter all that much. When you have the privilege of spending $90 a month for internet that might go out with a swift wind and has bandwidth limitations after 1TB you'll look at things like the cloud differently than other people would. Oh look, yet another cloud service to use up my bandwidth allocation. I miss the days were I'd download a program and use it. Clouds and services and crappy ISPs all seem like nickel-and-dime fee scam that they're all in on together.
              You are in the US right? Let me touch a nerve and sell the benefits of a free-competition internet provider market can offer you: I pay ~S20 for 400mb speed and unlimited traffic, fiber connection. The street cabling is brand new and we have no stoppages I can remember. And I'm not even in a major city.

Comment

Very good! SMB is one of the really few things that M$ has done right.
                Perfect for small/medium networks.

​​​​​​Anyway, a big problem with current implementation is the tooling/integration with file browser and such.
                If you set it up with config files and start all the various services it works, but it's an hassle if you just want to quickly share an arbitrary directory á-la FTP/SSH.
                Maybe it will be ezier to interact with a kernal FS?

Anyway, do you know what Gn*me is using for their filesharing implementation?

Comment

I have 0 cloud storage, and I keep seeing more people getting away from it. The only use for others-people-computer i see in my company is to share file to externals (like a glorified FTP).
                  All my colleagues have been hit by the random internet slowdown that fucks up you workday, so they learned to never store important and frequently used files on there.

​​​​​​I ​must say that collaborating on a spreadshit with goozledocs is pretty fancy.
                  ​​​​Though most of the time, if your workfrow involves using a shared spreadsheet, you are probably doing it wrong.

​​

Comment

Oh faster performance?
                    Either you are being intentionally silly, or you seem to have forgotten a few things ...

Firstly, we do already have network file systems in the kernel. Most prominently here is NFS with its own kernel-space server. So it is not new or unusual to add SMB here.

Secondly, we once had a kernel-space web server (khttpd aka TUX), which then became obsolete, because the sendfile() system call now allows to send static files just as fast, making the kernel-space web server obsolete, and so we went back again to user-space web servers.

Thirdly, we do have in-kernel support for DNS name resolution. I do not remember if we also once had a kernel-space DNS resolver (perhaps in the 2.x kernel), but the current implementation allows kernel-space code to do look-ups, which get passed to user space. It is used by NFS for example.

A kernel-space FTP server makes less sense, because FTP is getting quite old now and has mostly been replaced by web servers. It just would not make a lot of sense to implement one now while FTP servers are dying out. Sames goes for print servers I would say, because we go paper-free wherever we can these days and print servers are a dying breed, too. What remains can likely get handled by web servers and/or possibly also by a kernel-space SMB server. Besides, a kernel-space print server would not really speed up the printing process by a lot (or not at all).

Now a kernel-space BitTorrent client sounds fun, although I do not find the protocol very effective or network-friendly. but this is just my opinion.
                    Last edited by sdack; 05 August 2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                      I hope this will be disabled by default
                      As with nearly all cool new technologies, established Linux distributions will not adopt it. That's why nobody even optionally offers systemd-boot, homed, etc. while running the OS installer.

Comment

Working...
                      X