Basis Universal GPU Texture Codec 1.13 Encoder Is Now Even Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Never mind, I get it now. That wasn't a lead-in to a joke or a funny story. It was a troll attempt.
    You're awfully quick to dismiss OneTimeShot 's nebulous indictment. I appreciate richgel999 's robust defense, and there might be no case to answer, here. But, we don't even know why OneTimeShot said that, nor do we have richgel999's take on whatever incident(s) to which the former might've been alluding.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Thanks for everything, richgel999,
    Indeed. Credit where it's due.

Comment

Thanks Rich, for the excellent work, once again! To those who don't know about his work, Rich Geldreich is THE authority on texture compression and has throughout the last few decades worked on building, improving and documenting open source texture compression libraries and tools, which are widely used in game, VR and GIS industry. He's also called out questionable IP strategies of some vendors (though issues which have, in response, been mostly corrected now, by change to permissive licenses).

(In a nutshell, the exact opposite of what the obvious classic troll has claimed.)

Comment

Also, OneTimeShot, if you're referring to the ASTC license debacle; I'm actually the one who once (in retrospect, falsely) claimed ARM to hold that 'submarine patent'. I was wrong. It was merely a sloppy oversight by ARM, and the encoder has now been re-licenced to (iirc) a dual open source license. Rich had nothing to do with the ARM ASTC code, other than pointing out the issues on his blog. I raised a stink on the OpenGL forums, which seems to reached a few folk at ARM/vendors. Or more likely, Rich got involved behind the scenes to resolve the issue. Get your facts straight!

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
          Also, OneTimeShot, if you're referring to the ASTC license debacle; I'm actually the one who once (in retrospect, falsely) claimed ARM to hold that 'submarine patent'. I was wrong. It was merely a sloppy oversight by ARM, and the encoder has now been re-licenced to (iirc) a dual open source license. Rich had nothing to do with the ARM ASTC code, other than pointing out the issues on his blog. I raised a stink on the OpenGL forums, which seems to reached a few folk at ARM/vendors. Or more likely, Rich got involved behind the scenes to resolve the issue. Get your facts straight!
          Thanks for the background.

It would be nice if OneTimeShot could step up and hopefully put this issue to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by richgel999 View Post
            What have you done for anybody?

Showing your ignorance (open mouth, insert foot, in public), the S3TC patent is long expired:
            https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...ires-Next-Week
            What do you expect from Phoronix morons? They're useless hot air.

Comment

Originally posted by richgel999 View Post

Hey anonymous "OneTimeShot" - I've been giving away open source software for the past 20 years. We've been in Khronos for years now, helping push KTX2 forward from the very beginning while nobody else gave a damn. My compression software, using various licenses, is in endless commercial and open source products. I worked on the Steam Linux project at Valve from the very beginning, risking my career and then literally almost killing myself bringing games to the Linux platform and teaching developers how to port their games to Linux and OpenGL. What have you done for anybody?

Showing your ignorance (open mouth, insert foot, in public), the S3TC patent is long expired:
              https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...ires-Next-Week

Best regards,
              -Rich
              Yeah - straight in there with your badmouthing. I thought I remembered your name from somewhere. You were the one slagging off AMD and Khronos on your blog a few years ago.

BTW - I used past tense for S3TC, so you should read/thought carefully before you flame. If you had done the same when you write that blog post, your name might not have stuck in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                ... You were the one slagging off AMD and Khronos on your blog a few years ago.
                Thanks for following-up. If that's all this is about, some intemperate remarks, then I think I've seen enough. Most of us (myself included) have been guilty of that, at one time or another.

Spare a bit of empathy, no?

Comment

Working...
                X