X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post

Mate I've been using it for nearly 7 years between 2 servers with nearly 50TB altogether. You would assume I would know what I'm doing true in all that time? Perhaps read the earlier post if you haven't read them yet before giving unsolicited advice.
    It is a public forum and I am Just trying to help. Not just you specifically, but everyone. I have read your posts in this thread and there is nothing that indicates to me that you have an understanding of the risks of running BTRFS' RAID5/6 profile on metadata. Now while you may understand the risks involved far too many do not. Reading your posts here others less informed people may think that it is ok to run BTRFS with the RAID5/6 storage profile now and may not realize that there is different storage profiles for both data and metadata.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i don't know, but you can just always use 4k partitions
    I can also use a 4K page size on ppc64le, but that won't change the fact that I already have 64k partitions

Leave a comment:

• DanglingPointer
    replied
    Originally posted by waxhead View Post

I would be *very* careful with BTRFS RAID5/6. Make sure your metadata profile is RAID1c3 or even RAID1c4 and for the love of all that is holy make sure you run scrub after any unclean shutdown as there is no automatic handling of that yet.
    Mate I've been using it for nearly 7 years between 2 servers with nearly 50TB altogether. You would assume I would know what I'm doing true in all that time? Perhaps read the earlier post if you haven't read them yet before giving unsolicited advice.

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied

Simply because it was default on installer and didn't really care too much about the tiny OS SSD disk. All my stuff is in the massive RAID5. I trust the integrity more of the BTRFS RAID5 than the OS disk. Not because it is ext4, but because it was an SSD and like I said from 7 years ago! When longevity of SSD's were not fully apreciated nor tested. It's still running now by the way! But not much happens on the OS disk besides var/log and systemD logs I suppose.
    I would be *very* careful with BTRFS RAID5/6. Make sure your metadata profile is RAID1c3 or even RAID1c4 and for the love of all that is holy make sure you run scrub after any unclean shutdown as there is no automatic handling of that yet.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Is 64k partition on 4k os something which is currently being worked on?
    i don't know, but you can just always use 4k partitions

Leave a comment:

• DanglingPointer
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Ok, I thought you were originally differentiating FDE from LUKS in your message as if to say EXT4 was handled differently such as via it's filesystem encryption support.

Still curious why EXT4 is involved in your setup, what has you prefer that to be involved vs all BTRFS?
    Simply because it was default on installer and didn't really care too much about the tiny OS SSD disk. All my stuff is in the massive RAID5. I trust the integrity more of the BTRFS RAID5 than the OS disk. Not because it is ext4, but because it was an SSD and like I said from 7 years ago! When longevity of SSD's were not fully apreciated nor tested. It's still running now by the way! But not much happens on the OS disk besides var/log and systemD logs I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    the opposite(4k partition on 64k os)
    Is 64k partition on 4k os something which is currently being worked on?

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    That feature has got nothing to do with any filesystem, not Ext4 and not BTRFS.
    I didn't mean to imply it did. I stated earlier 3 different layers, FDE, filesystem, file. When I said FDE, I was thinking of the hardware equivalent SED, I wasn't aware of a software alternative that LUKS provides with dm-crypt.

The quote I responded to was querying why EXT4 was mentioned as using FDE but the BTRFS disks mentioned LUKS. I knew EXT4 supported filesystem level encryption, but didn't think of that as equivalent to FDE, so I looked into LUKS a bit to realize that was FDE via software and what I was thinking of was FDE via hardware (aka SED).

Thus my question was more about, what relevance filesystem encryption had if you had FDE(hardware/software) and file based encryption already in place.

Luks is capable of full disk encryption. Partitioning is done on top of it. That's what I did for each disk. Btrfs stripes are done on top of the luks.

The Ubuntu installer uses luks for full disk encryption. EXT4 is done on top of luks.
    Ok, I thought you were originally differentiating FDE from LUKS in your message as if to say EXT4 was handled differently such as via it's filesystem encryption support.

Still curious why EXT4 is involved in your setup, what has you prefer that to be involved vs all BTRFS?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Wow, does it mean that I will finally be able to mount a ppc64le (64K page size) btrfs partition on x86_64?
    the opposite(4k partition on 64k os)
    but
    "
    - subpage block size
    • - currently read-only support
    • - the read-write support is on the way, page sizes are still limited to 4K or 64K
    "
    Last edited by pal666; 18 February 2021, 03:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Guess I'll have to do my backups
    guess you aren't doing your backups. no wonder shit is scared out of you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X