X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Hearing about BTRFS "improvements" while on a BTRFS filesystem scares the shit out of me.

Guess I'll have to do my backups and skip 5.12 for a few months until other people are offered as "human sacrifice" to test if it is a totally clusterfuck or not.
    so, what about ext4 or XFS improvements?
    If you're so scared about technology progress you should use an enterprise distro and stuck with its default kernel.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Hearing about BTRFS "improvements" while on a BTRFS filesystem scares the shit out of me.

Guess I'll have to do my backups and skip 5.12 for a few months until other people are offered as "human sacrifice" to test if it is a totally clusterfuck or not.

Leave a comment:

• WorBlux
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    Question for those more familiar with disk/file encryption.

Filesystem aside, one can have full disk encryption and file/directory encryption (filesystem agnostic), and then there is filesystem specific encryption? (which BTRFS lacks)

In what scenario is it useful to have filesystem encryption when you have the other two?:
    • encrypted disk at rest offline(as in not actively booted/unlocked) - Usually uses AES-XTS which iirc has some negatives, but is due to context of content/input to encrypt/decrypt.
    • files protected at rest during runtime (as in you're logged into a session and can unlock/decrypt a vault or w/e of encrypted data, but it's otherwise protected from third-parties that can access the system while it's running) - Can support nicer ciphers like AES-GCM

I assume it's perhaps something you'd want if you're not using/trusting full disk encryption (which I recall some vendors having flawed implementations for that ended up not providing protection as well as assumed?).

I believe I have seen mention of using LVM with LUKS to work around BTRFS lack of filesystem level encryption, but that there are gotchas/drawbacks mixing LVM with BTRFS. Just curious how useful such a feature is at the filesystem level.
    The main one is you can do certain maintenance operations (resize, scrub, send/recieve) without exposing file metadata.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Question for those more familiar with disk/file encryption.

Filesystem aside, one can have full disk encryption and file/directory encryption (filesystem agnostic), and then there is filesystem specific encryption? (which BTRFS lacks)

In what scenario is it useful to have filesystem encryption when you have the other two?:
    • encrypted disk at rest offline(as in not actively booted/unlocked) - Usually uses AES-XTS which iirc has some negatives, but is due to context of content/input to encrypt/decrypt.
    • files protected at rest during runtime (as in you're logged into a session and can unlock/decrypt a vault or w/e of encrypted data, but it's otherwise protected from third-parties that can access the system while it's running) - Can support nicer ciphers like AES-GCM

I assume it's perhaps something you'd want if you're not using/trusting full disk encryption (which I recall some vendors having flawed implementations for that ended up not providing protection as well as assumed?).

I believe I have seen mention of using LVM with LUKS to work around BTRFS lack of filesystem level encryption, but that there are gotchas/drawbacks mixing LVM with BTRFS. Just curious how useful such a feature is at the filesystem level.

Leave a comment:

• Btrfs With Linux 5.12 Gets More Performance Improvements, Working Zoned Mode

Phoronix: Btrfs With Linux 5.12 Gets More Performance Improvements, Working Zoned Mode

David Sterba on Tuesday submitted the Btrfs file-system updates for the Linux 5.12 kernel, which once again include more performance optimizations and notable new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X