No announcement yet.

There Are Big Changes On The Horizon With Linux 5.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your point about interfaces makes a lot of sense, hence the need for a full time dedicated approach.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Examples include...
    Hence the need for a full time dedicated approach.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      I'm only seeking controls for already existing functionality, which are many.
      OK, now we're getting somewhere. Which existing driver functionality do you feel is not already covered by existing GUIs like CoreCtrl or DE display controls ?
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        OK, now we're getting somewhere. Which existing driver functionality do you feel is not already covered by existing GUIs like CoreCtrl or DE display controls ?
        Yes we are getting somewhere - much further than you expected or probably intended. The structure of this reply is a very unfortunate customer service response, since you are confirming that AMD does not believe it owns this. * We all know AMD (through its actions) isn't interested (publicly) in providing a UI alongside its driver even though that's been expected practice for drivers for probably more than two decades. But what we all were inferring because we can see it, you stepped too far out to confirm it. This amounts to "CoreCtrl provides it so why should we lift a finger?" or "DE display controls provide it so why should we lift a finger?" That's not our problem! That's not our job! A little shrug here, a little shrug there. Hands in the air. The worst one is this: Go write a script or go pound sand.

The outlook is just as dismal, because your response doesn't just confirm the today viewpoint, but also the tomorrow viewpoint. Where the brightside is, we know AMD is working on core under the hood features lets pick FreeSync for example.(but this cycle has repeated many times, some time ago it was OpenGL extensions IIRC) Initial patches that have a special target hardware or may be disabled some way for testers only. These things get trickled out and eventually they become awesome fully functional features. That isn't happening with a UI. We don't even have a dialog box yet with a label sporting "hello world" and a titlebar sporting "AMD Control Panel", much less some controls of some kind enabling even the basest of factory-expected UI features. Even if the hello world dialog existed, that would have value. Because it would mean more is to come. Instead we got nothing.

I'll answer your question with an example because I can foresee a potential "you didn't say a functionality" gotcha game looming, but all you and I would be doing is dancing around the "AMD don't own this" bush with a distraction. You and I don't need this dance any longer.

CoreCtl nor DEs provide intuitive controls for anti aliasing modes/filtering, for one, that I am aware of or can find in some search.

* One note of potential saving grace. Behind the scenes instructions have been given to all PR agents to under no circumstances confirm a looming control panel, for whatever reasons these instructions may have been passed. In this case, you are simply doing your job which is commendable.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Yes we are getting somewhere - much further than you expected or probably intended. The structure of this reply is a very unfortunate customer service response, since you are confirming that AMD does not believe it owns this. * We all know AMD (through its actions) isn't interested (publicly) in providing a UI alongside its driver even though that's been expected practice for drivers for probably more than two decades. But what we all were inferring because we can see it, you stepped too far out to confirm it. This amounts to "CoreCtrl provides it so why should we lift a finger?" or "DE display controls provide it so why should we lift a finger?" That's not our problem! That's not our job! A little shrug here, a little shrug there. Hands in the air. The worst one is this: Go write a script or go pound sand.

The outlook is just as dismal, because your response doesn't just confirm the today viewpoint, but also the tomorrow viewpoint. Where the brightside is, we know AMD is working on core under the hood features lets pick FreeSync for example.(but this cycle has repeated many times, some time ago it was OpenGL extensions IIRC) Initial patches that have a special target hardware or may be disabled some way for testers only. These things get trickled out and eventually they become awesome fully functional features. That isn't happening with a UI. We don't even have a dialog box yet with a label sporting "hello world" and a titlebar sporting "AMD Control Panel", much less some controls of some kind enabling even the basest of factory-expected UI features. Even if the hello world dialog existed, that would have value. Because it would mean more is to come. Instead we got nothing.

I'll answer your question with an example because I can foresee a potential "you didn't say a functionality" gotcha game looming, but all you and I would be doing is dancing around the "AMD don't own this" bush with a distraction. You and I don't need this dance any longer.

CoreCtl nor DEs provide intuitive controls for anti aliasing modes/filtering, for one, that I am aware of or can find in some search.

* One note of potential saving grace. Behind the scenes instructions have been given to all PR agents to under no circumstances confirm a looming control panel, for whatever reasons these instructions may have been passed. In this case, you are simply doing your job which is commendable.
          I just wanted to say I think you just wrote a fantastic post and I'm right there with you.

It is totally incomprehensible to me how AMD could develop this fantastic graphics platform and then completely ignore a configuration GUI... WTF is so wrong with at barest minimum a GUI for Display Settings, Power Management, App Profiles, Resource Monitor and Overclocking with an AMD logo... It's the barest minimum... Why they won't is just totally beyond me...

EDIT: Bridgman already knows exactly how I feel about this. But I think it's really good to see other people expressing to him similar things that I did. If he's so tired of explaining hundreds of times why AMD doesn't have a GUI, then he needs to convince AMD to write a GUI. Otherwise he's just gonna have to accept the fact that those hundreds of times are gonna turn into thousands of times.
          Last edited by duby229; 17 February 2021, 12:58 AM.

Comment

in some ways, the arch wiki works like a GUI, in that if you don't know where to even begin turning on features like VSR in linux, you head there and you learn about programs like xrandr, etc. ...discoverability is so key for the majority of users.

GUIs aren't the end-all, and intermediate users often find them a waste, but for some controls i don't touch often, it's nice not to have to skim man pages and remember syntax to do something a UI would have done with 2 clicks. so for desktop user experience, even a UI that points people in the right direction? i do understand the matter of deciding who should implement what (though even on windows i remember finding options that are duplicated by the windows OS UI, maybe that's less the case with later applets), but somehow users are getting a little lost in the shuffle. i'm not even saying i know what all the right answers are

Comment

Working...
            X