No announcement yet.

Linux 5.11 XFS Will Flag File-Systems In Need Of Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm wondering how this will affect your system if you're using XFS for your root partition. If you'd reboot and it would need to be repaired before it can be mounted, you'd have a chicken and egg problem, requiring you to boot from a live environment to perform the repair in order to boot back into the production environment. Not very pratical. Didn't they add an exception or option to force mount it manually?

P.S.: I know you could technically include the static binaries in your initramfs, but not everybody uses an initramfs. I don't need one myself for my production systems (with the exception of a separate minimalistic one which contains microcode) and since it brings extra work, complexity and extra boot time, I see little to no point for creating an initramfs for myself. I can see the usage in certain specific use cases though, like PXE booting and mounting a filesystem, loading certain out-of-tree kernel modules required for booting (specific RAID drivers for example for booting etc., but other than that I see no particular use case for using an initramfs.

Comment

Where's the XFS feature listing? All I see that's moderately recent is the Spinics lists.
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
        I've only used btrf, ext4, and f2fs. What am I missing?
        Looks like you're missing XFS.

Comment

Originally posted by nvaert1986 View Post
          I'm wondering how this will affect your system if you're using XFS for your root partition. If you'd reboot and it would need to be repaired before it can be mounted, you'd have a chicken and egg problem, requiring you to boot from a live environment to perform the repair in order to boot back into the production environment. Not very pratical.
          I'm sure their thinking is that not many people will keep the same root filesystem for > 10 years. For those that do, it's as you say.

Comment

Working...
          X