Linux 5.11 XFS Will Flag File-Systems In Need Of Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
    Wonder how this plays on a fiber/SAN mount.
    shouldn't make any difference?
    fiber/san are usually just block devices

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      XFS is really exceptional. Anyone know off-hand if there is anything missing from XFS that EXT4 has and isn't deprecating or embarrassed about?
      shrink.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
        shrink.
        Ahh, yeah that was a brilliant addition. I wonder how obscenely difficult shrink really is, probably somewhere between really and extremely obscenely difficult.

Comment

Ahh, yeah that was a brilliant addition. I wonder how obscenely difficult shrink really is, probably somewhere between really and extremely obscenely difficult.
          Fairly difficult to get right. Expand is normally just a matter of changing the partition and filesystem boundary. Most filesystems format on the fly to begin with. Shrinking, on the other hand, runs the risk of corrupting the filesystem logistics as well as any stray data physically beyond the new border. Older filesystems would simply refuse to shrink beyond the EOF of the physical location of the last file. Some modern ones will allow the opportunity to consolidate files to clear contiguous space. Some third party file utilities will do this as well.

Comment

I've only used btrf, ext4, and f2fs. What am I missing?

Comment

I'm a little concerned about this. 10 years sounds like a long time, but I've had filesystems at home that are nearly that old, and we have even older filesystem at work.

Comment

XFS is really exceptional. Anyone know off-hand if there is anything missing from XFS that EXT4 has and isn't deprecating or embarrassed about?
                Casefolding support is the sole reason that even though my system drive is XFS, I choose ext4 for my Games disk. wine makes native use of it to enable per-directory case-insensitivity for your wine bottles, XFS does not support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
                  I've only used btrf, ext4, and f2fs. What am I missing?
                  If you use it on hard disks for data with high turnover, XFS seems to do a good job of limiting fragmentation. Just be sure to keep a few % of free space (I think 5% is probably enough).

I think the story behind it is that SGI originally developed it for streaming video-on-demand (like Netflix or youtube, but a couple decades earlier).

It also traditionally supports most optional filesystem features: things like flexible file allocation and O_DIRECT.

Comment

Yeah, I use XFS to store my footage as that's where it was born.

Didn't know about the XFS and EXT4 upper and lower casing aspects for Windows gaming. I'll have to look into that as I think I dumped my steam and lutris/GoG installs on there and noticed some funky arse shit afterward's. I did it because XFS again performed well, but if it doesn't load, it's 0 performance, hey?
                    Hi

Comment

Darrick is working on a patch for xfs_admin where it will allow upgrading V5 XFS file systems to bigtime. No need to move data around and reformat/reinstall

Comment

Working...
                      X